• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Designing a Launching Mechanism for Catapult

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by jcioannou, Dec 15, 2017.

1. jcioannou

jcioannou New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum, I'm a mechanical engineering student at Drexel University. My younger brother and I are designing a catapult for his school competition, naturally I've decided to use it as an opportunity to show him that engineering is fun, especially with projectiles.

Our design is simple, a metal frame with mounted ball bearings holding either side of the rotating shaft. In the middle of the shaft is a tee holding the catapult arm, which is a golf club shaft in our case. So right now we have a great low friction, light-weight rotating arm, now we have to come up with a launching mechanism.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this? We're considering torsion or linear springs or possible elastic bands or a combination of methods. For scale the shaft axis is 16" and the launching arm is 36"

3. salonishirodkar

salonishirodkar New Member

But considering how cheap and easy it is to buy one, it might make more sense to use one of the commercial solutions below, and spend your time working on the other aspects of the machine. I’ve spent time researching the best triggers and releases for small catapults. There are three good, off-the-shelf solutions: The archer’s arrow release, the sailor’s pelican hook, and the horse trainer’s panic snap.