• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Die casting tolerancing. I'm confused

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by GarethW, Jun 7, 2010.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Please check out page 2 of the document that can be found at the link below:

http://www.reicon.com.cn/UploadSoft/DIN ... %B7%AE.pdf

I am looking at tolerance spec GTA 14 (table 1 on page 2). The table shows two lots of numbers: “intrinsic†and “not intrinsicâ€. Anyone know what this actually means? The “non-intrinsic†tolerances are much looser.

Surely any dimension on a die casting is “intrinsic†to the die, because the die determines the shape of the casting??? How can features be cast that are “not intrinsic†to the die?

3. frleb1

frleb1 New Member

Intrinsic specs means a specification relative to the element itself like: A diameter of 12mm +/- 0.5 mm.This is an intrinsic spec.

Not intrinsic specs means a spec.relative to another element like: A distance of 50mm +/- 1 mm from hole to hole.

Hope this will help.

Francois

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Thanks Francois, I understand what you mean with regards to geometry, but to make it more relevant to the casting process I have found the following explanation at this link.

Intrinsic dimensions are those in the same parts of the tool.

Non-intrinsic dimensions are those created by the interaction of movable tool components, e.g. wall thickness and base thickness or dimensions affected by additives or extenders.