• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Do you listen to music while you work?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Dec 8, 2012.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Usually I find it absolutely impossible to concentate on music and performing another activity simultaneously (I mean if I tried to walk down the street listening to an MP3 player I would just bump into things). Therefore I am usually unable to listen to ANY music and work at the same time!

That said, I sometimes find that there are some tasks I find it OK to listen to a few tunes (in fact this can enhance the experience). This is usually the kind of task where the engineering work is completed and it's a matter of adding detail and finishing things off (e.g. detailing up a component or assembly, doing all the fiddly stuff to get things to fit etc. which are kinda like a puzzle rather than anything that requires intense concentration).

Do you listen to music when you do mechanical design work? If so, during what tasks and what kind of music?

3. KarenL9

KarenL9 Member

I have to have a background noise while I am working, because I have become so use to background noise of machines in my jobs. In order to complete tasks at home, I need some sort of noise in the background. It doesn't matter what it is. Freezer motor is a good noise for concentration, but only lasts a short time. TV or radio on low volume works. Chatter is better than music, as it is similar to machine noise. It has to be below a certain volume. Louder noise over-rides my concentration.

4. Stefaan Nolf

Stefaan Nolf New Member

I'm working in a big engineering room, so a lot of people are talking, a lot of phones are ringing... enough things that can distract you.
      For the administrative side of my job as a mechanical design engineer, I will not listen to music at all. Setting up mails towards suppliers needs my full attention and most of the time you are disturb anyway with other administrative things.
      But when have to sketch new mechanical constructions, designing, set up assemblies in Pro-E or detailing drawings, then I've already concluded that I can work much more efficient with music! Listening to my favorite rock, stone rock or techno music, gets me in a sort of zone that blocks all other distractions.
      FYI, I'm using my office communicator head set to listen to music. When somebody want's to contact me through OC, I will hear it anyway.

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

I'd be lost without my music... Altho if I am running calculations, tunes are off...

6. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

Unless I really need to bear down and concentrate, I always have music on...or an audio book. It depends on the particular job, and task at hand.

7. dhernandez135

dhernandez135 New Member

I listen to music all the time. It helps keep my over active brain in check. But at work I listen to music for two reasons. I'm a full time design engineer and also a full time aviation engineering student. So I don't really have much time for sleep. Music at work helps me stay awake because while I'm listening to the beat (not always the lyrics) I can stay awake and concentrate on my work. so one things helps with another, I stay awake and I concentrate better. But while I'm at work I only have one bud in my ear and the other i don't so that i can have music and still be able to hear what's going on around me and to be able to respond to others quickly. I use music when I'm cooking, drawing, painting or working on my cars.

8. amgajj

amgajj New Member

listening music actually help me to concentrate on work while the work is not so challanging, like making drawings or just cad work. But, while solving some problems in cad, working on complex asssemblies, i can not work & listen in parallel. By the way, I always prefer to listen LudoVico Einaudi while working.

9. kushy

kushy Guest

I worked in a proprietorship firm.No words no music.He is very strict in office we have to think about work only.

10. ifeoluwa

ifeoluwa New Member

yes,even as a student i love my music ,,and it's hip hop.

11. ifeoluwa

ifeoluwa New Member

ha ha ha..'strict'