• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Do you listen to music while you work?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Dec 8, 2012.

1. mechanicalgirl

mechanicalgirl New Member

I always do. I am uncertain but it seems that I do my job a faster when there is music playing. But of course, it depends on the type of music being played. I usually go for the soulful type.

3. crabshusk

crabshusk Member

I do listen to music everytime I work, I cannot concentrate without it. Funny thing is that it really helps me think straight.

4. Robo-dog

Robo-dog Member

I tried to do that with my headphones, but it pushed my hearing aid into my ear, so I had to do without. But...does it help me at work...I find that it doesn't. It actually distracts me from thinking. I think it's because with my hearing loss, I have to think when I listen more than it's natural for many normal people with better hearing.

5. Marnie Dorsey

Marnie Dorsey Active Member

Well, that was before Marney (I talk to myself sometimes lol) since I have become a part time writer I find myself distracted when I hear music, I find it hard to write. So I guess it depends on what type of work one has.

6. overtknit

overtknit Member

It depends on the work I'm doing, if it doesn't require that much of concentration like encoding, organizing, etc. then I put on music to relax me. If it's something that I need to be concentrated with like for example writing or understanding my senior's weird instruction then everything has to be quiet around me.

7. postpdm

postpdm Member

I work in small room with 5 colleagues, and if I do not talking by phone myself, I prefer to be isolated from their talks with music curtain.

8. Nanci Meserve

Nanci Meserve Member

Yes, I love music and it's also depends on my mood do i want to listen to. Like today I'm listening to Photograph by Ed Sheeran. :)

9. Ana

Ana Member

I can definitely say that I can't imagine my life without music. I guess, the world seems to be mute without it. I like listening to classic music while working. That inspires me.

10. KarenL9

KarenL9 Member

I listened to a radio 4 presentation this week, which revealed that over the years office machinery has got quieter and as a consequence phone ring tones and general chatter had got more distracting. As far as I interpreted the report, the best office for concentration was an enclosed space or a open plan office with white noise playing in the background. Although my colleagues and I were dancing around to a ringtone from a phone left unattended yesterday. Made the mood in the office more positive or was that because we looked-like a load of monkeys swotting flies.

11. Credence

Credence New Member

When I am doing design work at my shop vs. my office, I turn on the 60s/70s rock as loud as I can stand. The walls are rattling. I can really focus on the design project at hand in that environment