• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Does anyone play any musical instruments?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by MechEngineer, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

LOL!..... classic...

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I have played electric guitar for a long time (learnt myself). I recently took up piano (2 years ago) and am having tuition and doing the classical grades. Grade 3 next month :shock:

On the subject of music, I have just added an article on "Technology and the electric guitar" to our to Industrial Design forum. I wrote this for my Product Design degree back in 1996. It's a bit out of date, but may be of interest.

Here is a link: http://www.mechanicaldesignforum.com/content.php?6-Technology-and-the-Electric-Guitar

5. BigJoe

BigJoe Member

I thought guitar was mandatory for all design engineers. Just about every mechanical design engineer I know either plays guitar or TRIES to play guitar.

6. swertel

swertel Active Member

I play drums and percussion, although my mallet skills are lacking.
      I used to play piano and now that my kids are taking piano lessons, I find myself relearning that which once I knew.

There's an interesting discussion going on at eng-tips similar to this. Members there are trying to get a virtual band together. If we can meet, we will, but other members are going to create the tab files for their instrument and someone else will mix them all together. I've written plenty of drum music in the past, so doing it electronically now is a neat experience. Trying to find inexpensive (or free) drum software has been the real trick, though.

7. GarethW

Forgot to mention... I also enjoy composing music on Apple Garageband. It's a great piece of software - you can get fantastic results from it. I have a USB interface for my guitar and can import MIDI files from my digital piano (Yamaha Clavinova).

8. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

Hi Everyone,
      I've been playing guitar since I was 12.....so for 42 years...(man, I'm old!) If anyone wants to hear my plunking I;m the lead player in a band with some other throwbacks to the 70's. Here's the address:
      http://www.myspace.com/acidraincoatband
      There's a demo mp3 of some covers that we play.
      -Stewart

9. GarethW

Good stuff! Thanks for the link :)

10. bchfuz

bchfuz New Member

I have been playing baritone horn since 1968. I currently own a 1955 nickel silver Cleveland bell front and a 1926 nickel silver King double bell baitone. I play either horn with the tidewaterconcertband.org in The Hampton Roads,VA area.

11. GarethW

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Me - guitar and piano. Did grade 4 in the latter a year or so ago