• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Does technology destroy jobs?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Dec 16, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Jul 2009
      Article in the Telegraph that asks the question: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/techno...progress-doesnt-create-jobs-it-destroys-them/

So what do we think?

I guess it displaces certain unskilled jobs for a while, and makes room for more industries to be created to replace them in time.

3. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

Feb 2012
      I read an interesting article recently talking about the current jobless recovery of our economy (I wish I could find it again). The article said that in the year 1800, 90% of people worked on farms, in 1900, something like 60% worked on farms, and in 2000, only 2% worked on farms. Clearly we don't have an 88% unemployment rate, as agricultural technology reduced the number of jobs in agriculture, people moved off of the farms and found and created new jobs. The key was that it happed slowley over many years. And of course there are all of the jobs that have been created directly due to technology: computer engineering/programming, IT, cinema, car mechancs, etc. would not have existed in 1800. I'm sure one could find an example from history that suggests the opposite, so the true answer is it's probably a give-and-take. Since I have no interest in working on a farm, I'll venture to say that, to a certain extent, jobs lost to technology are a good thing since it causes us to look for increasingly better jobs.