• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Does technology destroy jobs?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Dec 16, 2011.

1. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

but it also comes with:

increased maintenance costs from maintenance workers to keep the robots running.

Its expensive to buy equipment and software that the robots run on.

Excessive power costs. Electricity or batteries, which ever the robot works on.

Robots are job specific usually, they can only do something that they have been programmed for and programming a robot to do a different job from one that is has been designed for would be very expensive and usually not worth the risks.

3. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Yeah, our jobs are fairly safe... for now, but you'd be amazed at how many jobs can be done by machines. This article says 35% of current jobs over the next twenty years:
      https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34066941

It's also interesting because you can write in your job and it tells you the liklihood and it being taken over by a computer/robot!

4. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

I tried the BBC link - very interesting. If anything it does go to show that no matter how advanced computers/robots become, they will never truely take on the role of human beings.

5. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Maybe in 100 years!

I read a short story (can't remember the name I'm afraid) about an all-powerful AI that controlled every aspect of the economy and was all about making it more and more efficient.

6. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

There are so many movies and books about how AI takes over the world. But I think change is coming so we better be safe instead of being scared from it.

There was a joke that I once read. What if robots take over the world. Duh, just throw a bucket of water on them. Its just ‘kiss’, keep it simple, stupid. :3