• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • doing my head in

Discussion in 'Joining & fabrication' started by NasTnaS, Oct 19, 2010.

1. NasTnaS

NasTnaS Member

hi guys,

this will be hard to explain, but here goes.

i want to attach a flight bar to a 1" pitch simplex BS transmission chain (16b-1). the machine is a low level palletiser. this flight bar pushes a row or a layer of cartons onto the pallet.

the flight bar needs to be fastened to the chain somehow, and was wondering if anybody has any cheap, easy, quick solution... at the moment i am using an extended pitch connecting link, and as the flight bar goes around the sprocket the chord length is not equal to the extended pitch connecting link, and is pre loading the system.

if this makes any sense whatsoever, the battle is half won! :)

cheers.

3. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

Could you make your flight bar act as the connecting link? Then you'd need a couple of brackets on the bottom of the flight bar (or a pair of brackets at each end if you are using a chain on each side) with a couple of pins that pass through the brackets at the correct pitch so that they can also form the connecting link? Anywhere close?

4. NasTnaS

NasTnaS Member

hi,

thanks for that. at the moment, i have the bar on the inside of 2 chains as you say. with the pin centres spanning 2" on a 1" chain. ie extended link con link.

problem is the chord length is 49.5 for a 16B 14T sprocket spanning 2 links. 49.5 is far from 2"... thats my problem, so as the bar goes around the sprocket the linkage is stressed....

I was hoping there was an easy fix, but it might be some extravagent machined linkage part...

cheers.

PS. I will post a pic later to show you what i mean...