• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • draw bench design

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by mryeux, Nov 24, 2014.

1. mryeux

mryeux New Member

Hey all,
      I am an engineering student studying towards a BEng degree. As part of my design course I am required to design a draw bench that is able to draw tapered brass tubes for french horns. The maximum diametre of the tube is 20mm. For the drawing I wanna construct a slider with two lead screws and a stepper motor at the end of the slider. For the tube I want to insert a tapered mandrel inside and I want to move the mandrel with the tube through steel die washers. The mandrel should be attached to a carriage moving with the lead screws.

I have problems with selecting materials for the die washer, calculating thr draw force and therefore selecting the appropriate lead screws and motor. If I take the yield stress of brass, assuming that the drawing process requires a plastic deformation, I get draw forces around 10kN. This seems unreasonable since on a couple of youtube videos people were able to draw the tube by hand. I am really worried now since I cant start working on my project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
      Sam

3. thanhtran

thanhtran New Member

assumptions

You may want to check your wall thickness, temperature (they may have pre-heated the brass) and maybe leverage.