• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Dual-focus contact lens prototypes ordered by Pentagon

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Apr 13, 2012.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Link. Going to be used by the military initially but could be available to the public soon too. These things willl allow multiple images to be viewed at the same time. Could be used for "augmented reality" projects like Google Glass.

So, both military and public will be walking around bumping into things :D

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

The Multifocal point that this article talks about. As in this lens allows the user to focus on two different things at a given time. This seems impossible for me. Because the brain decides what to see its not the eyes that can choose what they want to see. So how can using lenses to change the view of the eye make it possible for the brain to register two different focal points at one time. Also the brain calculates the distance of an object from us by superimposing the two images from the two eyes and then connect the dots to find the position. but if they two eyes are focusing on different objects I wonder if they would be able to correctly judge the distance from the object or not.

The point later in the text about getting motion sickness seems legit. And also the brain will have a hard time coping with such a change in the vision of a person. The people trying these probably should expect a lot of headache.

However, human body can adapt to almost anything. Especially when they are young. So if the young generation start using these lenses then it might become a norm in the next decade. However its been 7 years this news came out and I don’t see anyone using it even now. So its safe to say it must have failed.

4. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I visited the AgustaWestland helicopter factory once and they mentioned that the Apache pilots have to focus each eye on a different display. Perhaps I misunderstood how they explained it but it seemed insanely difficult, especially when also flying a helicopter at low level with people shooting at you!