• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Electroplating problem

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by K.I.S.S., Apr 4, 2015.

1. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Hi All,
      I've got a production run of a cylindrical machined part that requires electroplating (Chrome). The part has a 2mm Dia. hole drilled in one end to a depth of 15mm. For complicated reasons, the pin that is required to press fit into this hole can't be inserted prior to plating, so does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I can prevent the build up of the various process crud in the hole from the cyanide and acid Copper, Nickel and Chrome salts? I need something that is both easy to insert, remove and that doesn't corrupt the plating tank chemicals.
      I've tried plastic inserts, but in reality they tend to become semi bonded to the hole and snap upon extraction.
      some sort of process neutral gel?
      It's no fun trying to drill out the build up of very hard Chrome and other crud from the hole, and it's just another time consuming waste..
      Any suggestions gratefully recieved .
      K.I.S.S.

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

Can you not use wax? I have only dealt with platting a couple of times and this seems to be pretty common. You can melt the wax out at the end and have a clean internal surface. You can post a more specific question on finishing.com, there are a lot of very highly experienced industry professionals.

4. KamilBabacan/KAYAHAN

KamilBabacan/KAYAHAN New Member

Have you thought to use Titanium or PVDF?