• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Engineer a precision positioning setup for a paper on a roll

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by nikita_mech_design, Apr 24, 2014.

1. nikita_mech_design

nikita_mech_design New Member

There are several parts to this effort.

1. Bond paper roll being stretched between 2 paper feeders on wheel bearings
      2. Precision positioning of the roll to a coordinate system devised for that roll That is if the paper roll is 35 meters long or 35'000 mm and 914.4mm wide I could choose a point on that roll say x=10567 and y=804 (where x=1 is 1mm offset y=1 is 1mm offset on the y axis) and have that point moved to a specific spot on the part of the roll between the shafts that is stretched and forms a long visible surface(writable with pen or other means area).
      [​IMG]
      Imagine the distance between the two rolls increased significantly and the first roll of paper tuck in or be held on the second spindle/shaft.... The idea is to be able to roll back and forth from the left roll to the right so as to achieve a precise positioning to a specific portion within the roll. The position requested by choosing a point on the entire roll i.e. 3'500 mm(3 metres and 50 cm) on x and have that be scrolled right in the centre between the 2 rolls. So if the distance between the 2 roll holders is 2 metres The point on the roll of 3'500mm should be positioned to the middle point which is a point spaced 1 metre from either scrolls.
      When I lay out the entire paper roll the surface gets the dimensions of about 35metres and 914mm.
      I have:

• Arduino compatible board
      • Raspberry pi
      • Laptop (Ubuntu Linux)
      I need ideas on the shaft , bearings and precision positioning of the paper through rotary or linear encoders etc...