• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Equilibrium Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Eliss, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Eliss

Eliss Member

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Very cool - thanks for sharing :)

However I do wonder how this could be made so that it doesn't wobble. Might need a few mods to make it structually sound!

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I really like it and if i could I'd get one. But on of the pictures on the link you posted probably doesn't do the best job at promoting a book shelf that looks like it's about t oo fall over!

[​IMG]

5. GarethW

Actually this example poses an interesting challenge typical of what a product designer or mechanical design engineer could expect to come across:

It's a really great concept - what would you do to turn it into a manufacturable product whilst preserving the aesthetic intent which is the unique selling point?

Clearly the main issue is structural. The joints between each box section won't be sufficient as they currently are. There's probably a few ways of fixing this. Any thoughts anyone?

The simplest and perhaps most obvious option would be to design it so each section screws to the wall. Shame to not have it free-standing as per the renderings, but that's one suggestion.... Anyone else?

6. GarethW

On the subject of wacky bookcases how about this:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

7. Michael

Michael Active Member

I don't know how this would work aesthetically, but maybe perhaps chamfer the edges, to allow more surface for fastening? Or, make it of welded metal; stainless steel would look sharp.

8. GarethW

Malagana Design, the inventors, say that lots of people want to know how the Equilibrium bookcase works. They are going to be sharing a video of how it assembles soon on their website. Apparently you can buy one from them. However, there's no photos on the site only 3D renderings.

9. Eliss

Eliss Member

Yea... I wonder how it works too, seems will break the wooden part easily deal to the torque by the weight.

10. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

No matter what it would need to be fastened to a wall for safety reasons (small children, pets etc). If each upper section was fastened to the wall and they were fastened together then it should be sturdy enough. I would suggest fastening in a vertical line so as to take advantage of a single wall stud.