• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Everyone is a Mechanical Engineer..

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by LinkedIn Gopher, Mar 26, 2011.

1. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

Right from a CEO (who is a chartered accountant) to the office boy all seem to have a opinion or comment or design solution on the mechanical design aspects of the product,..irrespective of the fact., that they know very little about the problem /subject,..making me to wonder whether i am the designer or they.... ...but when it comes to electronics and software other than the concerned engineers people keep their mouths shut,,... recently i heard this statement " Everyone is a mechanical Engineeer."... which i felt aptly symbolizes the agony we go thru .....funny i guess.....your take on this sirs...

Source

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Armchair mechanical engineers! Mechanics are tangible, so lots of people think they understand it/that it's easy. Electronics and software are more mysterious to the layperson, so they refrain from offering their expert opinion in those fields!

4. KarenL9

KarenL9 Member

The differences between an armchair engineer and a professional engineer are in time and costs. I have completed tasks to very high quality standards in hours with no rejects, where previously the task was completed in two, three or four days with a high reject rate by someone else (usually another engineer). You need to be careful when taking advice from armchair engineers as it might be good, but may not cover every situation as it is based on limited experience and might not be up to date. I always accept advice where ever it comes from, but sometimes experience and skill will prove their worth.

5. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

Yes everyone is a Mechanical Engineer, even my own son who possesses a masters degree in it!!! What he knows how to do is write code for machines, he has no clue mechanically speaking. Me I have a 9th grade education and I would take on anyone as far as design goes, anyone...

6. hardsteal

hardsteal Member

Yeh it's true, cause when a non engineer looks at machine, he is pretty able to visualize the process, unlike other fields where nobody can see electrons flowing through resistors to capacitors. :geek:

And they all think that it's just EASY........