• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Feb 24th 2012: Can you help the Mechanical Design Forum? .....& more

Discussion in 'Newsletters' started by GarethW, Feb 23, 2012.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Jul 2009

Below is a digest of some of the interesting discussions going on in the Mechanical Design Forum. But before that, here are a few bits and bobs I'd like to share with you:

Mechanical Design Directory
      I would just like to draw your attention to this Forum's sister site, The Mechanical Design Directory. It's a business directory specifically focused on mechanical engineering - just the stuff that's useful to us with no rubbish and clutter. The Directory has just been upgraded and it's also been moved to a new superfast server. Please check it out - we do hope you'll find it useful.

I'd like to invite you to add a listing for your company, products or services in the Directory. There's a FREE Basic listing available if you'd like to take advantage of that. There are also some far superior paid listings (you'll see that rates are extremely reasonable). If you do opt for a paid listing you'll certainly be doing us a massive favour in helping us raise much-needed funds to keep both the Directory and of course, this website, Mechanical Design Forum running and developing!

Can you help the Mechanical Design Forum?
      Over the last 2.5 years we've worked incredibly hard to spread the word about the Forum in all sorts of ways including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Every member is incredibly important as we seek to provide an unrivalled resource of expertise for the benefit of all. Our aim is to make this website THE definitive mechanical engineering resource providing a fantastic level of support for its members. We're continuously looking for new ways to extend the reach of the Forum to find new members so we can make it as good as it possibly can be. We're also working hard to raise funds to cover our ever-increasing overheads and to allow development of new features such as mobile apps (coming soon, folks)

Maybe you can help us? Here's a few ways you can support us:

1. Add a link to www.mechanicaldesignforum.com somewhere on your website/blog.
      2. Tweet a link to this website or Tweet links to the URLs of any disussions of interest.
      3. Spread the word to colleagues or any mechanical engineering professionals or students you know
      4. "Like" us on Facebook
      5. Join our LinkedIn group.
      6. List yourself in the Mechanical Design Directory. If you go for a paid listing that'll be an even bigger help with our overheads.
      7. Advertise with us - email ads@mechanicaldesignforum for a quote. Prices are pretty reasonable, and the funds raised from this are a huge help.
      8. Give us some feedback here. It's always useful to know what we're doing right or what we're doing wrong. Any suggestions are welcomed.
      9. Post more often, contribute to existing discussion topics, start new ones.
      10. Start your own blog here - preferably a mechanical engineering related one (but no self-promotion please!)
      11. Write an article of interest to the other members (but no self-promotion please!). To do this just click the "Create Article" button on the homepage.
      12. Anything else you can thing of.....

Mobile apps for the Mechanical Design Forum
      I just want to let you know that these should be available soon. They'll be available free-of-charge, and there will be an Android one and an iPhone one. After a few delays, developing these are now top our our list!

Hot topics
      low temperature bearings
      Can you advice me , please, for bearings working normaly (easy) in extremly low temperatures as -50 C ?

Automated T-Shirt Folding Machine
      I have been tasked with coming up with a design for a T-Shirt folding Machine. Essentially, an automated machine must take the t-shirts from the end of an oven (where ink which is initially applied on the t-shirt is cured) fold them and place them into the bagging machine. The project brief.....

Simple gear reduction formula?
      I don’t think this is right, but I used up so much B vitamins that I could not figure it out. And it is probably back words for a mathematician. So how do I figure out a tow or three stage gear reduction for a bicycle that will bring the peak efficiency rpm down t.....

Hyperstatic supported pipe
      My question is regarding to hyperstatic supported beam problems. The pipe is anchored at point A and simply supported at point C. The force FB represents the weight of the pipe and the force FD.....

Timing belt damage issue

There is a problem about timing belt of a drive mechanism.The tooth have been damaged completely during the life test with full load......

For more Hot Topics click here

Unanswered questions
      PRO-e Ribbon toolbar.
      I Just installed Pro-E Wildfire 5, and I need to use ribbon tool bar in it. Currently I am getting that convention drop down menu. I tries to search a lot but could not find ant option to shift from drop-down menu to Ribbon menu. Does anyone know how to do that?

Large Scottish Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Reservoir and Dam (@ Coire Glas)
      I am presenting here my vision for a large pumped storage hydroelectric 2-square kilometres surface-area reservoir and 300+ metre tall dam which I have designed for the Coire Glas.....

Design job prospects

I am a 33 yr old mechanical engineer with 6 years of experience. I’ve studied in the UK (Bsc and Msc awarded) and so far I’ve been working as a building services design engineer......

Mechanical Tilting
      Hello all, ive found this forum very useful and final decided to ask my own question. Im designing a robot for fun and im stumped on making this object it carries tilt. The question is are there any examples of mechanical tilting?

Calculation for engine cylinder please help
      how to calculate stterling engine cylinder diameter or cylinder thickness and piston diameter and connecting rod length and connecting rod diameter for stterling engine..... i want to design stterling engine .... i get 200 R.P.M of Engine's fly wheel.....

For more Unanswered Questions click here