• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Feedback/suggestions for iphone case required Pls :)

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by nishatibrewal, Mar 30, 2011.

1. nishatibrewal

nishatibrewal Member

Hi Harricane,

I am trying to understand men's point of view. How comfortable would they be using shoulder strap on the phone case.

I am open to your suggestions :D

3. HurricaneLiz

HurricaneLiz Member

In America, I don't see men using a strap to carry a phone at all, it would look too much like a purse, and there's strong enough cultural mores about gender mixing that things like that don't go over well. Look to the history of the 'Eurpean shoulder bag' or 'manpurse' or 'mens' messenger bag' to see what I mean. Yes, they are sold, but not in large enough quantities to be worth an effort. Most messenger bags are now bought by women, the only real exceptions are ones that look enough like briefcases on a strap, or airplane travel bags, or backpack type conglomerations for bikers/other outdoor activities. Those three niche markets all focus on getting a lot of stuff packed into the item, so even though they are examples of men buying things with straps that go over the shoulder, they're not really the type of people that would carry a single item on a strap over their shoulder. If marketed in uber-trendy hipster online shops or retail locations, you could get a few sales, but I don't see the sales volume being high enough to warrant the costs involved in pushing a single product to a new market. The cultural mores against gender mixing are strong enough that even if the strap is removeable, male consumers wouldn't see past the initial presentaion, or wouldn't want to be seen buying something that appears to be for a woman. So if you packaged it with the strap unattached and folded together in the back so that people (women) would see it when they flipped it over, that could work, but it should be hidden enough that men won't feel embarrassed about buying it and then they'll just throw the strap away when they get home. If you package one version with a strap in girlie colors, and one without a strap in manly colors, I think that would get you further, but honestly, as a woman, I have no use for a long strap either, I already have a purse and necklaces around my neck, I sure don't need anything else there, one more thing to have to 'put on' before I leave for work. I WOULD use a short strap to help fish my phone out of my purse, but that's it. And I can't offer anymore advice without billing you, haha :D

4. KarenL9

KarenL9 Member

Hi Nisha,

I wear a phone case on my belt either around my waist over a top or on a pair of trousers. As a female engineer, I find the lack of pockets in womens clothes a bit of a problem. I am not desk based and need to carry my phone, some cash, and keys with me where ever I am. The phone case allows me to not need a handbag. A shoulder strap would be a safety hazard at work and I would be worried about security when I am out in public. The case on my belt works because I can keep it hidden under a jacket or coat and I have both my hands free. I have one problem with it in that when I undo my trouser belt the case falls off at a fast momentum.

5. nishatibrewal

nishatibrewal Member

Hi Hurricane,

Thank you for your suggestion.Noted will keep that in mind during the design process. Its really so sweet of you all to reply so honestly.

6. nishatibrewal

nishatibrewal Member

Hi Karen,

Regarding your probelm that can be sloved by adding a belt loop in the phone cases in which you can insert your belt along with your trouser belt loop. This will avoid case from falling unless you remove it from the belt.

Regards

7. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi Nisha - how's things been going with your iphone case project? Have you made/sold any?

8. Harshad

Harshad Member

Hello Nisha,

Good Design and can be improved more.

1) This cover should have small flaps at both the sides and closer to Hooks of strap, as Hooks are touching to Phone Sides which are having surface treatment or coating. Metal hooks will damage this coating from that particular area. If you provide small flaps at inner side of hooks, it will remain between hooks and phone.

2) cover front portion is fully open and leading to full and direct access to screen of phone, which may not be the full proof design, you may provide some material like net or plastic film at inner side of cover, so that dust or sharp edges will not have so easy access of most valuable part of phone (Screen).

Hope I tried to reply you.

Regards,
      Harshad Patel

9. nishatibrewal

nishatibrewal Member

Hi Harshad,

Thanks for the suggestion. Its a good suggestion will consider it.

Regards