• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Freelancing Ansys, Mechanical design , Material selection.

Discussion in 'Jobs wanted' started by Hannes, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hannes

Hannes New Member

Hi every one,

I´m a Portuguese mechanical engineer and a multiaxial fatigue researcher in Lisbon. I have expertise in mechanical design using Ansys and fatigue damage models. If you need an mechanical design solution send me a e-mail.

Best Regards
      Hannes

3. pramod

pramod New Member

Re: Freelancing Ansys, Mechanical design , Material selecti

hi hannes,
      i am pramod from India. i have just completed my four years course in mechanical engineering. i want to pursue my career in FEA. i am not getting how to start it or i would say i need guidance. as your a researcher in it i thought u can guide me well. if possible then please reply.

thank you,
      pramod.

4. Hannes

Hannes New Member

Hello Pramod, I´m happy to help you on your FEA start.

First of all you need to understand the basic principles behind the FEA, the FEA software are implemented with theoretical principles which we need to know to fully understand what we are doing. I advise starting with “Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis†from Robert D. Cook (http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Applicat ... 0471356050). It is a classical book in the area and a good introduction to finite element analysis, you must read it. My speciality is in Ansys, but you may start in other software like Abaqus or Nastran. A good starting point is solving the examples offered by the university of Alberta, Canada. You can find those examples in the link: http://www.mece.ualberta.ca/tutorials/ansys/ . Follow the steps. There are two ways to work with ansys, one is by graphical interface other is by programming the Ansys language (APDL), I advise you learn the two ways, you will need. Nowadays I´m using 90% programming and 10% graphical interface, many problems are solved due to the graphical inspection. I think these main lines are a good starting point.

Best Regards
      Hannes

5. pramod

pramod New Member

hi hannes,
      thanks alot...
      i will go through the mentioned notes and if i got any difficulty i will get back to you.
      once again thanks alot..

see u soon,
      pramod,
      with best regards.

6. abdoganawa

abdoganawa New Member

HELLO,
      Iam beginner in ANSYS and I want to perform fatigue analysis for submarine pipeline
      using pipe288 in ansys13, I already computed fatigue usage factor for my case but ansys come out with
      infinite value for induce stress which it (1*e8), I knew this value may be due to low stresses value or material properties. moreover I want to make a comparison between cases when this pipe is insulated and non insulated and this infinite value didn't allow me to perform that since the insulation material properties bit close to pipe material, so I decide to calculate fatigue damage or life may be they allow me to accomplish this comparison and I totally lost since I haven't any experience to do that in ansys APDL. so can you help me please?
      note: untill now I didn't use APDL programming language I used GUI only

thanks in advance

kind regards

ABDALELLAH GANAWA
      UPM
      MASTER CANDIDATE

7. Hannes

Hannes New Member

Hi, ABDALELLAH, greetings from Portugal.

To perform a fatigue analysis I use Ansys as a tool, witch is very useful to determinate the state of stresses and deformations in structures or metal components. Those results are then applied to fatigue models which can be uniaxial or multiaxial, some models are suitable for some cases and other models are suitable for other cases. Due to that I don't use the Ansys fatigue tool.

Now considering your case,

First of all, you must have the SN curve of your material to enter as a table in Ansys, you have also a option to enter other table related with material temperature fatigue behavior. The Ansys will determinate the cyclic equivalent stress and them compares with the SN curve entered by you, estimating the fatigue life in that way.

In your case, the axial loading on the pipe have a little amplitude variation resulting in a little cyclic equivalent stress, but your loading have a huge mean stress !!

Ansys consider the amplitude contribution on the cyclic equivalent stress and permit correct that value to account with the mean stress effect on fatigue.

Considering you text, I think that you don´t have considered the effect of mean stress on your analysis, try to consider the Goodman correction.

Take a look at

http://engr.bd.psu.edu/ansysug/2007-11- ... atigue.pdf
      http://www.idac.co.uk/products/download ... Module.pdf

Best regards

Hannes

8. abdoganawa

abdoganawa New Member

HI Hannes,
      thanks for this valuable advice
      I will try to use goodman correction and incase of any news I will inform you.
      thanks again

best regards

ABDALELLAH GANAWA
      UPM