• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Galvanising springs?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Outofmydepth, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Outofmydepth

Outofmydepth Active Member

I have a Land Rover Defender and have decided to unbolt a few bits & bob and send them for galvanising. Included will be the side steps. These are spring operated and I understand if I sent the spring it would not be a spring after the treatment? 450/460 degrees C.

One option would be to locate a stainless steel spring & I wonder if anyone is aware of any stainless steel spring suppliers who would be happy to supply me with 3 springs if we could determine we have the correct size etc.

Thanks

Outofmydepth

3. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

Depends on the process. I think you are talking about hot-dip galvanising which, as you say, requires high temperatures which will likely destroy the heat treatment of your springs. It is possible to apply zinc coatings using electrolytic (essentially room temperature) methods and it is even possible to do this at home (google "zinc plating at home"), but this type of coating is generally not as corrosion-resistant as a proper galvanise.

I have used Lee Spring (http://www.leespring.co.uk/pages/home.html) in the past, they will (or used to) supply small quantities and do produce springs in stainless steel.

Cheers

Andrew

4. Outofmydepth

Outofmydepth Active Member

Thank you.

Visiting the link now.

Outofmydepth