• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Gatwick Airport closed by drone

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by john12, Dec 22, 2018.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Has anyone been following this story? It's been major news here in the UK - one of our major airports was closed for over a day at one of the busiest times of year.

I wonder who was behind this? It seems like it's pretty well organised if the drone was flying all day long (on and off) and the people weren't caught!

What can you really do in those situations though?

3. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I think that the people who gave it are either very talented or incredibly lucky)

4. john12

How do you catch them now though? Although the police do tend to catch these people eventually (in the UK anyway!)

5. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Yes, airports have nofly zones over and around them especially for drones. Now young kids and enthusiast don’t seem to know this. And sometimes they fly into the nofly zone. The radars pick it up as a flying vehicle but they have no idea it was a drone. They would think it’s a helicopter because earlier when drones were just becoming a norm, the radars did not have filters for signals from drones. And it was marked as an unidentified object.

Any airport airside would have to shut down the airport and consider this as a high security risk, most probably an impending attack by terrorists. But ofcourse no one could see the drone. Not even the airside operations staff. But finally one of the cars found the drone and the threat was neutralized. And the airport resumed services again.

This is not the only time it has happened, when drones were becoming a norm this used to happen a lot. And then ATC’s had to put a filter for signals from drones.

6. john12

Yeah, I think this was especially unusual because it was clearly an intentional act. The drone flew around just long enough to close the airport, then wend and hid somewhere, and repeated this all day long.

Apparently they have now spent millions of Pounds on adding new anti-drone systems to help stop this happening again.

7. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

The fact this caused so many delays and cancellations was astounding. I always thought they were going to try and block out certain frequencies used by drones but I am not sure this is possible. Copycats will be the next problem!

8. john12

Yeah, as I understand it a lot of them work on the WiFi frequencies so surely there's thousands, if not tens of thousands, of devices working on that those in that area!

Thankfully it hasn't been repeated yet!

9. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

Then again, I saw some spiderman nets on show the other week which can bring down a drone in seconds. Maybe spiderman had the right idea about fighting crime :)

[​IMG]

10. john12

Yeah, that would work... but then you have to actually see the drone and be nearby!

11. john12