• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Gatwick Airport closed by drone

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by john12, Dec 22, 2018.

1. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Those spiderman nets are just a way for drone pilots to stop themselves from flying the drones. When drone pilots know there are nets it just gets them worried about loosing their drone and so they just don’t fly it. Otherwise, it doesn’t have the capability to actually stop a drone. Those nets are not useful at all. Firstly, because the drone that’s throwing them must be fast enough to catch up with the other drone (usually it never happens, unless the second drone in flying in a circle or so). Secondly, if the second drone keeps flying higher and higher (or something like a sine wave) its impossible for the first drone’s pilot to throw the net and capture the second drone. Also the drone has only 1 shot at it, because it carries only 1 net.

There are better ways to stop drone usage by setting up signal jammers I guess.

3. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Yeah, all good points.

I suppose with a jammer though, you have to know which specific signals/frequencies to jam though. Also, I'd imagine that there are very strict laws on jamming radio signals around airports, even if you are the authorities.

4. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I was going to bring up drone-hunting birds of prey, but a google search seems to indicate they're not as effective as first hoped.

Honestly, they should find a way to gamify it, and get kids to run their anti-drone program 24-7. No one can compete with an army of video game playing kids :)

5. john12

Yes, great idea! I'm surprised there's not more use of this 'resource'. It sounds a little 'Black Mirror!'

6. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

See they had to stop flights at Heathrow for a while due again to a drone:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46803713

Surely there must be some technology so that:-

1. They can block the drone signals
      2. Find out exactly where those controlling the drones are situated

An interesting idea for a new business venture - "DroneBusters" :)

[​IMG]

7. john12

Yeah, that would be a great business plan actually - develop an anti drone technology, then secretly 'attack' a load of major airports with drones, then sit back and watch the orders roll in. Of course, it's highly illegal and immoral!

I might be totally wrong but I was under the impression that most operate on the same frequency spectrum as WiFi, so unless you block all WiFi (not really doable in a major metropolitan area), or track down every WiFi user (again, not doable as there will be thousands within the airport radius) then I don't know what you can do...

8. john12

I just saw this today - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46827542

"All major UK airports to have 'military-grade' protection"

"A system which can detect, track and ground the devices has been installed on the roof of Gatwick's South Terminal following last month's chaos."

9. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I don’t understand. An aircrafts engine has enough might to swallow up to a 4 kg bird without having any problems. Why is a 700g drone a big deal. Ofcourse if the drone is filled with explosives then yeah its going to be a disaster.

I am planning to travel to heathrow next month. I hope this doesn’t happen to my flight.

10. john12

An aircraft can't swallow a bird without a problem though. Bird strikes are usually pretty serious incident, so much so that flying checklists have specific drills for dealing with those emergencies.

I'm sure there are certain cases where there's no damage, but usually it's serious incident.

Just search for 'birdstrike' on Google Images and you'll get an idea!

11. tmark938

tmark938 Moderator EngineeringClicks Expert

I think it is more about the threat that drones might carry some kind of explosive which is of more concern than the actual drones hitting planes. However, anything hitting a plane at great speed, whether the cockpit window or entering the engine, cannot end well.