• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • G'Day from Australia!

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by twebb, May 4, 2013.

1. twebb

twebb New Member

Hi, my name is Ted Webb and a ‘new guy’ on the forum! I am a retired avionics engineer involved with the F-111 (aircraft) Terrain Following Radar (TFR) for many years. The F-111 went the way of the buggy whip and so did my career. Can’t complain though, it was a great ride!

I was raised in Ft Worth Texas and employed by Texas Instruments/Raytheon for most of my career. Late in my career I worked for Boeing Australia. I came to Australia in 1995 to provide technical support for the F-111 TFR until it was withdrawn from service here (in Australia) around 2011. At that time I officially retired. We live on a small farm in Southeast Queensland about 12 miles from the nearest loaf of bread.

Even though my career was in avionics, I have always been interested in ‘mechanical things’ and have often quipped “I’m just a frustrated mechanical engineerâ€. I have no mechanical engineering training, but on the farm I often find ‘problems’ which I think has a ‘mechanical solution’. I lack the mechanical engineering skill set to develop those solutions! But, I’m anxious to learn!

I’m a ‘Jack of some trades, master of none’ type guy. I have experience in robotics, welding/fabrication, machining, CAD, small engine repair and whatever it takes to keep the farm running!

My two current projects are modifying an old ride on lawn mower to a ‘fence mower’ (to mow under the bottom strand of a barb-wire fence) and build a belt driven trommel to tumble dry horse pee soaked saw dust.
      I will definitely be using the forum to gain insight in belt drive design!!

3. jatin

jatin New Member

hello

Well, tedd, you sound like an experienced man, who has worked in some dream companies of many people! Great man!!

4. tomwuofjizu

tomwuofjizu New Member

Welcome, Ted. I am also a fresh fihs in this great pool. Another similar to you is that I just end my career by last month. The difference is that you are much seniorer that me. :)

My next task is building a new company and help our customers to sourcing parts from China. I choosed a hard way, but I will go on anyway.