• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • GDTP Sr.level exam - Can anybody share some tips&hints?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Aleksey721, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Aleksey721

Aleksey721 Member

Hi everyone!
      I'm going to take GDTP SR level exam by the end of the month and looking for practical tips and hints of those who actually took the exam recently.

I've been preparing using J.Meadows's "Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing – Applications, Analysis & Measurement [per ASME Y14.5-2009]" , Workbook and Answerbook for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing [per ASME Y14.5-2009]
      along with B.Wilson's "Gd&t: Application and Interpretation"
      and definitely ASME Y14.5 2009 standard itself

i've been studying for quite a while and quite good at these books

My question is - how do these book correlate with the actual test?
      I noticed there quite a bit of difference in terminology in the ASME's GDTP test booklet (knowledge body section) as compared to what is used in the books and in the standard, probably they just adapted the previous version(s) of the standard. It makes me wonder if the test itself uses obsolete terminology which can be confusing to me (as I didn't work with older revisions that much?

Maybe there's something else which may be confusing /unexpected?

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate your input!

3. swertel

swertel Active Member

The best advice I can give is to have the ASME standard memorized. That's about it.

Any, and all, books written on the subject are the authors' interpretations of the standard. As you can probably tell, there are plenty of gaps in the standard because the standards committee is made of humans and they and can only define a limited number of scenarios. Each revision tries to fill in the gaps. Authors of GD&T books, especially if the author is someone that sits on the Y14.5 committee, use their books to fill in their interpretation of the rules. Thus, you can imagine, that different authors have different interpretations of the rules and the books don't necessarily align with the standard.

The book authors use different terminology to help interpret concepts beyond what is described in the standard. This can, and does, often lead to a misinterpretation of the standard, especially in terms of passing the exam. My advice, stick with the standard, ignore the books when it comes test time.

4. Aleksey721

Aleksey721 Member

swertel, thanks for you comment
      are you a GDTP SRlvl?

5. swertel

swertel Active Member

I just finished taking a series of classes on ASME Y14.5-2009. The instructor is on the committee. He has written several books. He was very honest to us regarding the process of updating that standard and what is in his books compared to the standard.

Additionally, I have one employee who recently sat for the exam. The instructor advised him as I advised you. My employee spent as much time going over the standard as well as third party books, much like you have done. He failed. For his retake, he plans on only studying the standard.

6. Aleksey721

Aleksey721 Member

very interesting.. Thanks for your advice, I'll keep it in mind!

7. Fred Allen

Fred Allen New Member

Both the current ASME GDTP Technologist and Senior Level examines are based on the ASME Y14.5M-1994 Standard, NOT the ASME Y14.5M-2009 Standard. Study and thoroughly understand the ASME Y14.5M-1994 Standard before attempting the test.

In addition you might consider attending a GDTP Certification Course offered by several of the better known GD&T trainers such as Applied Geometrics, Inc. Having taken and passed the ASME GDTP Senior Level examine in November after reading the 1994 Stand from cover to cover several times and then attending the AGI Prep Course, I found this level of preparation well worth the time and effort.

Best of Luck!

8. Aleksey721

Aleksey721 Member

Man, it's simply UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
      I went on their website to double check and saw they said
      "The 2009 edition of the Y14.5 standard became available in March, 2009. ASME is in the process of updating the certification examination to the new edition. The targeted timeframe for the new exam is September, 2014."

I didn't pay any attention to this message as I thought they certified people to the current standard.. Wrong assumption.. OMG... I have 3 weeks left to the test date.. Hope, there's enough time to get though 14.5M a few times..

Is there a chance i can get some more details about the exam from you? Phone?
      like type of problems, boundaries calculations, wall thickness, tolerance stackup analysis, statistical tols, etc.? what do they emphasize in the questions?..

9. Fred Allen

Fred Allen New Member

There is a limit as to what I can share with you but if you email me at cvsaw@att.net I will try and help. You may want to consider rescheduling your examine for sometime next month to take the pressure off of yourself. The only limitation on taking the examine after having registered with the folks ay ASME is the 90 time frame that they set. The testing center, Prometric, makes it very convenient to reschedule if needed, here is their link.
      https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx

Regards,
      Fred

10. Aleksey721

Aleksey721 Member

Fred, thank you very much
      unfortunately my 90-day limit ends around Feb7th so I decided to take the exam as scheduled, on 30th..
      Do I need to memorize those Decision Diagrams from Appendix E and form& proportions of symbols from App.C?

11. Fred Allen

Fred Allen New Member

The link below takes you to the ASME web-site PDF document that covers the Body of Knowledge for both examines. I would be prepared to answer any question related to the topics mentioned in the Senior Level section, appendix "B". Instead of depending on ones memory, understanding the material will better prepare you to pass the examine.

If possible, let me know how you do. Email cvsaw@att.net

Best of Luck!

http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Codes/CertifAccred/Personnel/27640.pdf