• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Google Drive

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Starlet, Apr 27, 2012.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Google Docs has version control etc. though, right?

I'd agree about privacy, if you're on a sensitive project, for sure.

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

That is so true. Once there was a researcher doing his research on pulsejet engine. And I needed to get some data from him which he gave me in a CD. I was amazed and curious because who uses CD nowadays.

Then he told me the previous design he build was stored in an USB. The USB got lost and he didn’t think much about it, he thought he just lost the files but he had backup in his computer so he didn’t mind it. fast forward 10 months later, turns out someone copied his design and submitted it for PhD thesis. He tried to prove that it was his design but in vain, lost the work of 2 years or more in a mere second.

Then restarted his work on a different design and now he doesn’t trust anyone with his data.

4. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Wow, so someone had stolen his USB? That's terrible!

5. MSHOfficial

Stolen it or maybe he did drop it and later on someone found it and the guy who found it was also working on the same thing but this design worked better so he just used it. but probably stolen it also works. The thing is they were not from the same university, they were working in different universities, close to each other, but not same. So it would be hard to believe the other guy stole it from him when he didn’t even know him.

6. MSHOfficial

What impressed me was the guy finished his PhD thesis in 10 months, I don’t know how much of the work was done or anything as such but it still takes time to go through the whole design, build a model. Do experiments and then optimize it. Then write the report. Do first defense then second defense and then final defense in front of the jury. Everything was done within 10 months. The other guy only got to know when the designs were published in a local journal and he was reading through thinking he would find something to help his own project, but turns out it was his own project.