• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Guide me,I am a student doing Mechanical engineering

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by sallyvanan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sallyvanan

sallyvanan New Member

Hello gentlemen, I am a student doing under graduation in mechanical engineering, please guide me about the opportunities in our department, and in which subject should i develop myself to shine.. please help me...

3. macen

macen New Member

Hi, the mechanical engineering field is extremely broad. Almost everything you see and touch (nonorganic) has probably had design involvement by a mechanical engineer. Automotive, medical, military, computer electronics, HVAC, etc. are all fields that vary in what a mechanical engineer could do but all involve mechanical engineering. You need to ask yourself what interests you? What do you like to do? Do you like physics, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, etc.? The field is really that broad.

That stated, the thing as a student is to learn how to problem solve. All your engineering courses teach you a structured method in problem solving which separates nonengineers from engineers. It also separates good engineers from not so good engineers.

As soon as you can, find a summer internships with companies that are in the field of engineering. They can be engineering or product companies. You don't have to intern in engineering per say but that would be an advantage. Even working in a manufacturing environment assembling or disassembling products can teach you a tremendous amount about mechanical design.

Get good grades in school. They won't be super important once you are working as an engineer since work experience is more critical but to get that first job, it will open doors for you.

4. sallyvanan

sallyvanan New Member

Re:

Thank you for replying my post, definitely i'll do my best to get excellent grades...
      please stay in touch.
      with regards,
      Saravanan