• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Happy 2019! What did you achieve last year, and what are your hopes for this year?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by john12, Jan 1, 2019.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Happy New Year everyone!

What are you proud of - work-wise - from last year and what are your plans for 2019?

Personally I fell into a bit of a rut in 2018 (working for mostly the same people - easy work but not very interesting) but I had some work changes in autumn that forced me to change the way I worked and ultimately I finished the year much better - more interesting work projects and better rates!

For 2019 I suppose I need to work more on the longer-term aspects of my career, but I think I say that every year!

I'm interested to see what this year brings in tech and engineering too.

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

In 2019, I finished bachelors and also left the internship I was working for. Changed my country and started masters and working as a freelancer. I miss working in a company, even though I was not paid much (since it was an internship, like a part time job) I was happier with more knowledgeable people around me helping me whenever I needed them. I also had free lunch, free coffee, flexible working hours and more.

Right now the freelance work is just starting up, I am not getting well paid projects so the pay is pretty moderate. The flexible working hours still exist but I don’t get any food or help from my seniors anymore. Other than that the masters education is not what I wanted it to be like, so I feel like I am wasting my time doing it. But I cant change in the middle of the year, so I have to continue until the end of this academic year. Maybe I start liking it by the end.

Academically I have achieved a lot, got a bachelors degree and moved on to having a masters program. But professionally my experience is fairly constant. Haven’t been learning a lot.

4. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Thank you, I also сongratulations of all a happy new year!)
      In 2019, I decided once again tried to get involved in a startup, but this time in the post of chief designer, I hope everything will work out. Of course, I don’t refuse to freelance either, now I try to expand the number of regular customers and in parallel I am looking for big, serious projects. At this moment I am making maximum efforts to get a big contract over the proyet in the nuclear industry. I will hope everything will work out. I have plans to improve my English by the end of the year and start looking for work in Australia (I want to go where there is no snow =)).
      The ideal reassurance of the year will be to have an affair with a pretty Spaniard =))

5. john12

Where did you move from and to? How are you finding it? Were there any major 'culture shock' parts that are different from your home country?

Hahah! Why not,sounds good!
      Your written English certainly seems pretty good. I have quite a few friends working in Australia and they all seem to love it. It's expensive to live but you also get paid very well (even unskilled jobs) so it's okay.
      Apparently the lifestyle is just very pleasant - always outside in nice weather and going to the beach!

6. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I have problems with colloquial English (

Yes, of course, I think this is one of the best places in the world)) and most importantly there is no snow)))

This is what I have 5 months at year (
      IMG_20190106_122258.jpg
      4 more months in a year I have terrible mud and slush in autumn and spring, I am constantly ill in such weather(
      From the 3 months of summer I have warm sunny weather when you can go to the beach for about 20-25 days. Of which 2/3 I work ( and this every year. For two years in a row, summer was cold and nasty (
      For heat and sun, you have to fly to another country because it is about 2 times cheaper than traveling by car to the south of Russia, and this is not the quality of service)
      I want to go there for 1 year where there is no snow, and then I will make a decision: should I go back)

7. john12

Yeah, that sounds good! Snow is okay in my country (UK) but usually we only get a few days per year. I think I'd like it much less if it was months and months!

Colloquial English is definitely a big thing in Australia! Just put an 'O' on the end of every other word and you'll be fine. "Hey Bosso, I'm just off for a smoko!".
      Then also swear liberally. The stronger swear word that you use to describe someone, the more you like them!

8. MSHOfficial

I thought in Australia you would make everything short and/or illogical. Salty for a crocodile for example.

In warsaw Pl. we have quite a bit of snow every year but this time its rare. Maybe 8 inches of snow in all the year this year. I would like to have cold weather all the time, not snow, but cold weather.

I would like to get a Job in airbus structures in Bristol this year. I have been looking forward to this since last year when I applied. And I actually landed an interview so I cant wait to attend it. Hopefully, I will be able to get it.

I was wondering if anyone here knows about Bristol? How is it. What do you think about living in the UK. Especially, for foreigners? How is the weather. It has sea, so I guess I am already into it. Also what would a new engineer expect their salaries to be in Bristol? More specifically in Airbus?

Also the costs and living standards? Is it a quite city or is it more lively like warsaw or Barcelona. So many questions.

9. john12

Hah, Salty is a funny one. It sort of makes sense - eg - 'saltwater' crocodile... but then that would also describe any other animal that lives in the sea!

All the best with the job interview. Bristol is a very cool city - lots of arty stuff going on, and great cider! It has a reputation as somewhere with a bit more personality than most other UK cities, perhaps it's similar to compare it to Berlin - it's a little bit 'hippy'.
      I can't speak directly but I would imagine it's slightly more friendly to foreigners than the average UK city.

I don't know any details about Airbus itself there I'm afraid.

10. MSHOfficial

Yes exactly, salty could be anything that lives in the sea. But if someone says there is a salty in the sea I would think he is a retard trying to tell me the sea water is salty. Things to learn before you go to Australia. :p

Well thank you I would want to live in a city where I could go out after the work and enjoy a little, blow some steam off. Not somewhere where everything closes after 8pm like in many cities in Germany. Well I hated berlin, I have been there twice and once I saw a drunk man getting beaten up by some hooligans. Scarred me for life to see so much blood on the floor and on the guy. It seems to be really unsafe of a city to me. Is Bristol unsafe too ?

Well as long as the local population does not mind foreigners and arent racist towards them, I am good. But Bristol seems like a kind of place (from what I have seen in videos) where people work less and chill more. How are the brits when it comes to professionalism?

11. john12

I don't think Bristol is particularly unsafe, although of course every large city has less-safe areas. But, in my experience it's pretty relaxed (especially compared to London) and people like to have fun.

I haven't seen it myself but apparently (according to the news, so take it with a pinch of salt) people are less friendly to foreigners since the Brexit vote. Apparently it emboldened racists a little. But honestly I wouldn't let that put you off. Of any big city in the UK I think Bristol would be up there at the top as amongst the most friendly to non-Brits (in my limited experience - maybe someone else has another view).

In terms of professionalism... hmm, I'm not sure. I think people tend to pretty professional whilst at work, but will relax a lot outside of work.

One thing that foreigners often mention - Brits tend to not really say what they actually think. As an example see this chart:
      [​IMG]