• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • have a question about screw feeder/discharger design.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by marthandan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. marthandan

marthandan New Member

hi all,
      i am a mechanical engineer working in an iron ore mine. we use mobile screening plants rated @600tph to classify the raw iron ore. but the production rate rarely crosses 300tph.

after study, the problem has been identified to be the operators. you see, the mobile screening plants (MSP)are fed using hydraulic excavators. since the feed pattern is not uniform, the MSP's tend to jam. the operators are compensating by underfeeding, resulting in reduced production levels.

after some thought, i feel that a hopper fitted with a feed mechanism will be able to solve the problem. a vibrating (the iron ore tends to compact, when damp)or reciprocating feeder (action not dynamic enough) will not serve the purpose.i was wondering if a screw feeder/discharger can be fitted to the hopper to give a uniform and controlled will be the answer.
      i do understand that iron ore is very abrasive. but considering the increase in productivity (targeting 400 ~ 450tph), low life of the screw is not a big consideration. my main requirements are that the screw discharger should not jam and should be able to discharge damp (not wet) iron ore.

basic flow of raw material will be:
      1. hydraulic excavator feeds material to hopper. operator ensures that the hopper is always filled to hopper capacity of 12~15 metric tonnes.
      2. the screw discharger fitted to bottom of discharger feeds iron ore at pre-determined rate onto a conveyor belt.
      3. the iron ore is transported in the belt conveyor and fed to the MSP.
      NOTE: please note that the purpose of the screw feeder/discharger is only to ensure a uniform and consistent flow of raw material from the hopper to the conveyor belt and not to actually transport the iron ore, even for a few cms.

would appreciate your :idea: :idea: :idea:

regards
      marthandan

3. hmck57

hmck57 Member

marthandan -

The screw conveyor should be a sound engineering solution to your problem. We are using a similar idea to remove ash and slag from a vessel. It does provide a steady flow of materials but in our application that is not our objective. I think you may need a variable speed drive to attain the control you desire.

We used Industrial Screw Conveyor (http://www.screwconveyors.com/) and they provided good service. If you can provide them with the design parameters (volume flow rate, expected material size, temperature range, etc.) they should be able to help you.

4. marthandan

marthandan New Member

thank you for the response.