• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • helical gears and bearing choice.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by yadnom1973, Oct 13, 2016.

1. yadnom1973

yadnom1973 Member

This is a small rail based dolly I’m making with a set of helical gears inside. The only force that is generated is by it being pushed by hand up and down the rails and turning the fly wheel to create inertia for a smoother shot.

As I’m putting it together I’m wondering now if normal bearings will be ok with the helical gears generating axial force, do I need to look at other bearings or would the forces involved be too small to be of concern?

While I’m here I thought I’d ask if my choice of gear MOD, their 1.5 at the moment , seems appropriate? The gears are Nylon and steal mixed and between 25 and 80mm.

G Nch .2.JPG

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Most small ball bearings can handle thrust loads of roughly 50% of the radial loads, which should be fine for helical gears. Of course you will have to design the shafts and housing with appropriate shoulders to react the loads.

4. yadnom1973

yadnom1973 Member

That's good to know. Thanks for the advice. I've been over the drawings to make sure all the shoulders and bearing counter bores are in the right direction.