• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by mjokada, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mjokada

mjokada New Member

My name is Marco,

I live in CA and graduated from CSU Los Angeles with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering & Manufacturing Engineering.
      I'm currently working as a Mechanical Design drafter for an industrial sewing machine company called Kiko Sewing Machine Inc. I came across this community through Linkedin and just though I would check it out.

3. Parrleu

Parrleu Well-Known Member

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the group. :)

At your job, do you mainly work on new machine designs and the like, or does your company encourage the use of your skills to showcase some of the ways their machines might be used in unexpected ways?

4. mjokada

mjokada New Member

Hi Parrleu, thanks for the welcome.

My workplace involves working with industrial sewing machines. We make custom parts/attachments for sewing machines called "clamps" to automate a sewing process and meet a customer's needs. The customer will bring samples to us ranging anywhere from straps, harnesses, hats, backpacks clothing, etc. and we build our custom attachment clamp which allows the operator to easily load the working material onto the clamp and automate the sewing process for them. Essentially the operator just needs to load the material and press "go" to sew up their product.

We also work on modifications to existing sewing machines to improve upon or introduce new uses for that particular machine. These jobs include extensions of machines as well as building machines from the ground up.

5. Parrleu

Parrleu Well-Known Member

Hi Michael,

That sounds really interesting. If you have any articles about your products' mechanical designs - maybe even the evolution of some of the models, that seems like it would be pretty cool to bring to the group. Personally, when it comes to sewing, my present interests lay mostly in exploring e-textiles. So I for one would be very interested in finding out about any machine modifications that can made to make the production of products like those easier.

Cheers,
      Heather