• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hello, fellow Mechie's...... Prithvi here from India.

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by prithviyr1, Jan 4, 2014.

1. prithviyr1

prithviyr1 Member

Hi fellow design engineers,

I am Prithvi from India. Here's a small debrief of me, graduated in year 2011 with B.E in mechanical engineering from one of the prestigious colleges in bangalore, India. Soon after i completed my degree, i joined one of the reputed indian IT company. Now, initially though we were trained on solidworks and many product design and development concepts after the training due to lack of proper high level design projects I was put into some worthless post production support role for a telecom client.
      Now my problem is, I really want to get back to mechanical design especially the aerospace industry. Since I have around over two years of experience which obviously is irrelevant when it comes to mechanical design profile, I seek valuable inputs suggestions from fellow mechanical engineers on this forum, as to how can I switch my career back to the design field.
      Im even considering certification from INCOSE(international council of systems engineering), Is it worth spending time on? will the INCOSE certification be relevant enough for a mechanical engineer?

Thanks
      Prithvi

3. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

Last year I had some discussions with Expert Global (who are based in India - and they have new offices in India) - and this company gets involved in doing design work for a whole range of customers - both in India, Germany, USA - and they also send engineers abroad to work on specific projects - so a chance to see the world too. Because of the immigration rules in the UK they couldn't send anyone to work in the UK.

You will not design aeroplanes - but if you are good - then you will get the opportunity to work on a variety of design work - which is probably of more value to you - than designing a tiny bit of an aeroplane.

At your age you want to acquire as much knowledge as possible (both practical experience as well as analytical experience) - and work for experienced design engineers - since you will learn something from them. A good engineer in my view is someone that is well rounded - someone who has got a good understanding of how things are machined and manufactured - as well as how things are designed - since you can't design something - if you don't understand the practical side - because otherwise the cost of what you design will be unnecessarily high.

My only other suggestion - is to be humble - since I have interviewed a lot of engineers in my time - and some just want to be the design manager by the time they are 25 (but they don't want to learn anything) - and who don't want to learn how to do drawings and calculations properly - and who don't want to get their hands dirty.

Hope this is of help.

http://expertgs.com/

4. prithviyr1

prithviyr1 Member

Hi Lochnagar,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your views and insights about design as a career. Like I've mentioned I'm pretty interested in airplanes(aerospace industry in broad sense) but its not that i want to do only that and do nothing else, I completely agree with your thoughts about a good engineer and i do feel the same. I want to learn as much as I can and get exposed as many facets of mechanical engineering world as possible. The problem is I'm unable to find a foolproof way to get out of my current job(worthless in every possible sense) and later join a core mechanical design company, because its almost more than two and a half years I'm stuck at this job. I've started applying to other organizations as well but all of the organizations ask for handson design exp on a CAD tool. that is where i completely get stumbled, there is no way I could bank upon on my previous work exp as I've done no design activity after my initial training. How should i make the transition smooth without any hiccups, as no other organization will be ready to accept me as a fresher since i graduated in june 2011.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    5. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

Hi Prithvi,

I think the first thing you need to do - is completely forget about the aerospace industry - because from what you are telling us you are in a "dead end job" at the moment - so no one in the aerospace industry is going to be interested in you. You are aiming for the top of the tree - and you are at the bottom of the tree at the moment - and you are just not going to jump from the bottom of the tree to the top of the tree in one jump.

You say that you have some Solidworks experience. Solidworks is a good CAD package - and it is widely used around the world. However, to be of value to prospective employers - you need to be good at Solidworks, good at modelling parts, good at building assemblies, and good at doing detailed drawings for manufacture - with limits and fits and geometric tolerances.

From my limited knowledge of interviewing a few Indian engineers based in the UK - I got the impression that there is quite a lot of work performed by engineers in India - in taking existing 2D hand drawn drawings - and converting them into 3D models - with the associated drawings. This could be good experience for you - a small step up the tree.

I note you said that you graduated from one of the "prestigious colleges in Bangalore" - but don't feel that this in some way entitles you to a top job - it doesn't.

I am unsure of your specific situation - but sometimes in life - you have to take one step backwards (which is painful) - in order to get two steps forward. Maybe - that is something you might have to consider.

As I said Expert Global have a large number of engineers - I think just over a 100 - (and they are growing) - but you would need to be good at Solidworks. They are based about 100 miles East of Mumbai.

Hope this is of help.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    6. prithviyr1

prithviyr1 Member

Hey everyone,

Just bumping the thread with few questions,. taking on from my previous comments i would like to know if there is anyone in this forum who is a certified systems engineering professional(INCOSE ASEP or CSEP), I wanted to know how relevant will these certifications will be for a mechanical engineer (ASEP or CSEP).

Thanks
      Pruthvi

7. Matt Coughlin

Matt Coughlin Active Member

I'm not sure about the INCOSE cert, but if you really want to just find a design engineering job, you could start putting together a portfolio of design work. You might find some design jobs on Elance (don't expect to get paid much, but you can build your portfolio for real clients) or even start building some complex parts and assemblies, just to show that you have the Solidworks skills.

Also, I've found that "who you know" is more important than "what you know". So, if you have any friends or contacts that are in the industry you want, let them know you are interested, ask for introductions, and start making yourself known to some of the people who could hire you. In my experience, there are a lot of frustrated engineers that are very smart, thinking "I'm so smart, why don't I get hired/promoted/etc". What many smart engineers forget is that networking and relationship-building is often just as important as building your technical skill set or getting a certain certification. So be humble, find mentors, work hard, get your name out there, and eventually you will find something. Good luck :)

8. prithviyr1

prithviyr1 Member

Thankyou so much for your reply @[MattCoughlin],
      Indeed you hit the bull's eye, when you mentioned who you know is more important than what you know. I guess i realised this pretty lately in my career nevertheless "better late than never" as they say.

I would like other forum members to throw some light over INCOSE's ASEP/CSEP certifications. The fact that the system engineers are the one's who are responsible for genesis of complex systems and are the key resources who integrate all the subsystems in a complex system, sounds just too amazing to me. I mean, you will get get to be a true engineer in every sense wearing different engineering hats be it mechanical, electrical, software., the idea just gives me goosebumps. I'm too excited towards being in the system engineering field, but I know some of my thoughts and perceptions on this topic might be exaggerated or skewed due to very little knowledge about systems engineering field. I request senior members on the forum to enlighten we young budding engineers about the prospects of systems engineering field.

9. prithviyr1

prithviyr1 Member

Can anyone please give some inputs regarding this.

Thanks
      Pruthvi