• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hello from a newbie to MDF

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by jkfarmby, Jun 5, 2014.

1. jkfarmby

jkfarmby New Member

Hello,
      I am Justin Keatts from Hickory, NC. I am a Process Engineer by title but one thing that helped me get this job is my understanding of mechanical design. I started out as a farmer on a farm where we did all of our own maintenance and created many tools and pieces of equipment to help make our job easier. I then went into machining after a 2 year degree program. While in machining I had the opportunity to design and redesign components from time to time. After being in machining for 7 years I decided to go to night school so I could be an engineer. After completing my degree I was able to move into this Process Engineer position. Designing and redesigning is a small part of my job now. But I enjoy it when I have the opportunity and I am able to help others in their designs.
      I am fairly new to Inventor but I hope to be able to get some tips from the experts here. This and the fact that it's always nice to have a resource when designing new components is why I chose to join this site.

Life is Good,
      Justin

3. Matt Coughlin

Matt Coughlin Active Member

Hey Justin, welcome. It's always good to meet an engineer with some machining and process experience. I came from manufacturing and a "hands-on" background as well, then transitioned to design engineering. There are lots of good resources here.

4. jkfarmby

jkfarmby New Member

Resource Utilization

@ MattCoughlin:
      I am really happy with my career change.
      How do you normally utilize the resources here?
      • Search for a particular post title then read through the posts?
      • Post a question and wait (how long?) for a reply?
      • Look for tips or links that are made available? (Are there links, articles, and/or information available here in a separate area from the post threads?)

Just curious what the most effective method of utilizing the resources here is.

Thank you,
      Justin

5. Matt Coughlin

Matt Coughlin Active Member

Basically I use it in 2 ways:
      1. Simple search for a topic or technical question (ex: "injection mold design guides"). I've had pretty good luck finding things that I'm looking for that have already been discussed in the forums.
      2. Browsing to see what everyone is up to. There is some cool stuff in the Solidworks area for example, with people sharing their projects and design work. Basically I waste a lot of time checking out nifty CAD models and other cool stuff.
      3. I haven't been on here that long yet, so I haven't had a chance to post a really technical problem, but it seems that people are pretty responsive with some really active users, so there's a lot of people willing to chip in and contribute.

There is a separate blog and article section, look in the nav menu area.

Enjoy!

6. jkfarmby

jkfarmby New Member

Thank you

I appreciate you taking the time to reply with this information.

Thank you,
      Justin