• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hello From Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by dycks den, Mar 8, 2013.

1. dycks den

dycks den New Member

My name is Dennis from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Stumbled across the site in my search for help on a tow bar I'm designing.

Unfortunately, I am not a mechanical engineer but am smart enough to know when I need help beyond my ability. By trade I have 3 Red Seal certificates as a mechanic and have been a Fleet Maintenance Director for the last 20+ years.

I will try to flesh out the plan as best as possible and hope there is some help on this site.

The idea is to create a collapsible tow bar that allows a standard size pickup truck to be towed behind a class 8 truck/tractor. The tow bar is attached to front of pickup truck, would then need to extend/retract much like a scissor lift action.

My challenge is to create the necessary linkage to activate the extension and retraction of the tow bar. If there is anyone interested in helping to calculate the linkage design it would be much appreciated.

Would like to attach an image but cannot seem to cop & paste or attach. My email address is cjddyck@gmail.com for those that are up for a challenge.

thanks

3. Parrleu

Parrleu Well-Known Member

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum from some fellow forum newbies.

This sounds like an interesting project. We are not MEs either, but have seen a few sites that might be helpful. Shapeways.com and Kraftwurx have fairly active co-create areas where you can post projects and ask for people to help co-create them - While they are geared to people 3d printing on their sites, the setups are flexible enough you could easily post a project that does not do so, too. Sites like grabcad and the Google 3d database have a lot of people posting a lot of different models for free. One of these might work well for you, but even if not, there might be something similar that could lead you to a contact or two that would be suited to your particular project's needs.

Best of luck,
      Heather and Joe