• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help! Design a constuction lift?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by thakao16, Jan 10, 2014.

1. thakao16

thakao16 New Member

Good day mates! This is my first time posting a thread here so please be kind to me. I'm sorry for wasting your time but I would like to ask some help here if you would please. The problem that I will state here is from Chapter 23 of M.E.D 4th Ed. by Mott. The problem is as stated.

Design a constuction lift. The lift will raise building materials from ground level to any height up to 40.0 ft (12.2m). The lift will be at the top of a rigid scaffold that is not a part of the design project. It will raise a load of up to 500 lb. (2.22kN) at the rate of 1. 0ft/s (0.30 m/s). The load will be on a pallet, 3.0 ft. By 4.0ft. (0.91mX1.2 2m). At the top of the lift , means must be provided to bring the load on to a platform that supports the lift.Design a constuction lift. The lift will raise building materials from ground level to any height up to 40.0 ft (12.2m). The lift will be at the top of a rigid scaffold that is not a part of the design project. It will raise a load of up to 500 lb. (2.22kN) at the rate of 1. 0ft/s (0.30 m/s). The load will be on a pallet, 3.0 ft. By 4.0ft. (0.91mX1.2 2m). At the top of the lift , means must be provided to bring the load on to a platform that supports the lift.

I would like to know how will I start there? Haha. I mean seriously, Im kind of lost here.

Thanks friends!

3. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

One thing you should always do when you are tasked with a new design - is look at what your "competitors" have done - since it is very rare for something to be completely new.

I had a look at what Scanclimber do who are one of your "competitors" - and tracked down this very good video on Youtube (see hyperlink below) - of one of Scanclimber's products - being brought onto site and "assembled" - and put into action.

From this video - you can see that they are using a rack and pinion to drive "the cage" up and down the pillar. My best guess is that the electric motor drives through a worm gear - before going to the spur gear - since a worm drive can be made non back drive-able - which I would say in this application would be advantageous - so that you don't have a "run away" cage - whizzing down to the ground at break neck speed - with the obvious dire consequences of that.

If it was a hydraulic drive for example - you would use a counterbalance valve - to control the rate of descent - to avoid this "run away" situation I have described above.

If you go and look at Scanclimber's website - and look at the various models they have - you will see a host of information there - on for example the emergency braking system, etc, etc. In addition you will get weights and dimensions too - which will help you home in on the size of motors and brakes etc, etc.

Although this sounds like a university project you are doing - if you were designing this for real - you would need to think about things like wear of the rack and pinion - and the consequences of that to the safe operation of the system. Additionally, the transverse float of the cage on the pillar would be a critical issue too - since you would not want the spur gear to become disengaged from the rack (the consequences of this would be very dire) - if there was too much float in the system.

Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM3cWY2G4oY

4. thakao16

thakao16 New Member

Thanks mate! That's what I've been thinking, a rack and pinion but would it not be an overkill because the maximum height is just 40ft.? And may I ask also if it's okay with you, where to start the computations?

5. Lochnagar

You can use crane hoist forks (see the first link below) - and couple that to a small scaffold hoist on a swing arm (see the second link below) up at the top of the building. However, I think 40 feet is probably a bit too much for this method - particularly if the wind catches the load that is being hoisted.

http://www.whitneyeng.com/pdf/GER AU.pdf

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/attachment.php?id_attachment=48

The alternative - and I believe "safer option" - would have a tower or pillar that is secured to the building - and on which a carriage slides up and down on this pillar (see the third link below).This is like I detailed in the youtube video yesterday. The advantage of this method - is that the load is fully guided - so it can't swing about.

http://www.rapidplatforms.co.uk/sites/default/files/Geda-Hoists-850ZZP-Electric-Hoist.pdf

The place to start the design is with the load.
      If you go for the carriage option - you need to size the carriage up to carry the load - so the load on the rack and pinion = (the weight of the load + weight of the carriage) x dynamic factor. I would suggest a dynamic factor of 2 - since in engineering we usually assume the load is applied gradually - but if it is applied suddenly - that is usually equivalent to 2 x the load. In addition, you need a safety factor to yield - and I would suggest a minimum safety factor of 1.5 -to yield to the worst case loading. Remember, you have wind loading too.

Engineers quite often design things from a stress perspective - and forget about deflections - that is a mistake. Deflections are just as important. Usually, if it is a simply supported load (i.e. two supports and a beam with a load inbetween the two supports) - max deflection recommended is span over 360 - and if it is cantilever supported - max deflection recommended is span over 180.

If you go for the tower option - remember it will be subject to buckling - due to the axial load. Don't forget the offset load (centre of tower to centre of pallet (which is where the centre of the load is) - which is creating a moment load.

Hope this helps.

6. thakao16

thakao16 New Member

Thanks! This is a really huge help because I'm quite lost at how to start things up. Im very thankful! Btw, if I may ask again, do I need to use a counterweight or the motor can do all the work? Im sorry if my linguistic skill is not that refined hahaha. Thanks again mate! God bless!

7. Lochnagar

In lifts in buildings - there is a weight that moves in the opposite direction to the lift - in exactly the same way as a ski lift - it is a continuous loop - so the motor has less work to do - it just has the weight of the people to raise - not the weight of the lift carriage.

However, in this application - that should not be necessary. But don't forget brakes. With both systems (the scaffold hoist - or the rack and pinion system) - the worm drive at the end of the electric motor - will provide a mechanical lock - but you will still need a fail safe brake.
      Hope this helps once again.

8. thakao16

thakao16 New Member

Thank you once again sensei! Hahaha.