• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help for designing a cable management mechanism

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by hj3, Sep 12, 2014.

1. hj3

hj3 New Member

hi everyone, I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could suggest some ideas for this design problem:
      referring to the diagram over here, I need to connect some wires (2pcs of 20AWG, 2pcs of 22AWG and 2pcs of 24AWG) from the red component to the blue component. I need to work within the annulus space as shown, i.e. between the diameters of 1" and 3". Lengthwise I have about 6" to work with. And the blue component needs to travel about 30ft back and forth. So the objective here is to ensure the cable doesn't get entangled as it follows the movement of the blue component.

I have looked at some solutions like coiled cords and cable carrier but just wondering if they are any other solutions which I'm not aware of.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

3. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Hi hj3,

If you look down some of the recent forum topics, you'll see one entitled 'Coil Winder' - reciprocating linear spool feed.
      Have a read through it, and you'll see that Lochnagar has posted some interesting video links to a very similar problem.

Hope this assists.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014