• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help need about strain gauge placement cantilever beam[Urgent]

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by amayilsamy, Jul 8, 2013.

1. amayilsamy

amayilsamy New Member

Dear Friends,

Basically I'm a Electronics Engineer. I need measure using stain gauge cantilever beam.

how to place the stain gauge in cantilever beam.

how to define size like length , with, area. If there is any calculation???.

Kindly Help me

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

This should help
      http://media.paisley.ac.uk/~davison/labpage/gauges/gauges.html
      note that you can also use
      gages on all fours arms of the bridge to ge higher sensistivity, or to cancel out off axis loads

4. murphyrh

murphyrh New Member

In cantilever beams the location of maximum stress is near to the fix so you need to put there the SG (Strain Gage), you could choose between 1- the one direction or 2 the two direction alignment 90 degrees one from the other.
      In the first option you must align the SG in the direction of the stress
      The second helps to reduce the misalignment and deflection due to the load,
      For the length, it depends of the dimension of the beam, and the precision that you need, because the SG makes an average of the resistance change, so if you use a large SG, the readings are not accurate and a smaller could not read all the stress section.
      In the length you could use one with 3 times the thickness of the beam; I know that Vishay or Micro Measurements have student gages, for all purpose look at them.