• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • help needed for pneumatic molding idea

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by greensheep, Jul 24, 2011.

1. greensheep

greensheep New Member

After many frustrating attempts at making bath bombs by hand, I found a youtube video of a guy selling a machine that makes them utilizing a pneumatic cylinder. (the b3 bath bomb machine -- psE4LXcIHyU) While I have no doubt that his machine is wonderful, I also thought I could probably build a similar one for, well, a fraction of the cost. Which is needed for my student-type budget :oops:

When I first sat down, I thought it would be a simple 5 minute parts list and a grainger order, but after (probably OVER) thinking it, I'm paranoid about the details--so after re-reading all of the fluids and pneumatics chapters, then thinking about pharmaceutical tablet presses and reading everything from patent applications to industry guides on industrial ceramics--in GERMAN!!, I think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

Can someone help me? I actually bought the mold (die) itself, from the willow company (it is split into a top and bottom half, and supposedly has threads on the top. I would be so, so grateful, if anyone could help with suggestions/help/ideas for :a suggested "buy" list (double action cylinder? 6 in travel? how does one do the 2 button safety trigger?), how critical doing the math is first (or does this look like a trial/error could work) and if anybody has any creative ideas to make things simpler.

I'm sorry if that sounds like a lot to ask--and doubly sorry for my terrible weekend grammar--I just feel so overwhelmed!

it seemed like such a simple thing when I started, and now seems well, overwhelming. But, then I found a post on here about a guy looking to make a snow brick machine, and he got wonderful advice and feedback, so now I'm hopeful again. If you can't help, that is okay too, but thank you in advance to anyone/everyone that can. :D

3. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

Does it need to be a powered press? From what I can tell from the video, you only need to apply a load of around 300 lbs (he mentions 90 psi air pressure, and I've guessed at about a 2" diameter piston). Have you considered just using a toggle press? This one, as an example, should be more than adequate http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/products/0254844/ (600 kgf is about 1320 lbsf, you control the applied force by how hard you pull the handle - I'm sure you'd find an appropriate level). Alternatively, if you need more stroke (the toggle press has a stroke of 32 mm), you could try a fly press. You can pick either of these types of tools up on ebay used for less than £100/$200.

4. Primeonly27

Primeonly27 New Member

I have some pneumatic cylinders. You would not be able to do a very big one but may be able to make a machine that does one size and is more automated.

You can find the pneumatic cylinders : Clippard Pneumatic Cylinder Cilinder d11-08-3 1/2" on my store site directly at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250825093284?refid=store

If you look at the entire store http://www.Primeonly27.biz you might find it at auction sometimes and save. Also make a best offer if buying more than one. :cool: