• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help needed! MR16 reflector lamp.

Discussion in 'Autodesk Inventor' started by Sunny-Gee, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Sunny-Gee

Sunny-Gee New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I just stumbled over it during my web search for design tips of how to model a MR16 reflector lamp in Autodesk Inventor. Here is the link to a typical model:
      Feit-Electric-BPEXN-CG-3-rw-157107-238988.jpg

My approach is to loft the body, but I have no idea of how to put the different facets on it. Anyone with a quick tip please?

Thanks!

3. redshift19

redshift19 New Member

Sunny,
      In order to model the dimple array on the inside of the reflector you will need to know, or make up, a few dimensions. You will need to know:
      1. Radius of the sphere that made the dimples.
      2. The normal distance to the reflector surface from the center of the sphere. This distance will determine the depth of cut by there sphere that will cut the dimple.
      3. The horizontal and vertical offset of the sphere. This will create the rectangular shaped dimples.

With the reflector modeled, draw a sketch of a half circle and revolve the sketch about its center to create a solid sphere. If i remember right you will not want the sphere to be deleted when you subtract the sphere form the reflector body. You may need to use it later to create subsequent rows.
      Subtract the sphere from the reflector body.
      Use the array tool to array the cut around the inner area of the reflector. I would start at the top of the reflector.
      Copy the original sphere and move it down the vertical offset distance. and repeat the cut and array.

Now, this reflector does not have an alternating horizontal offset between rows so this reflector is fairly easy. If you start having problems with the dimples overlapping and reducing the array count does not completely prevent the overlap or leaves gaps the radius of the sphere has to change. This may be the case since this is a conical reflector.

I hope this helps.

4. Sunny-Gee

Sunny-Gee New Member

@redshift19

Hello.

Thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate it. I already made the MR16 in SketchUp. That's way easier. Just wanted to try it out in Inventor. It finally worked. Thanks a bunch.

Regards

5. redshift19

redshift19 New Member

There may be an easier way to do it but the way i described was how I figured out to do it in Inventor. If you found an easier way I would be all ears.

6. Sunny-Gee

Sunny-Gee New Member

I finally used two polygons. One for the shape (duplicated and scaled) and one for the path. Used the sweep tool and - Voila!
      http://www.rapidprojectdesign.com/untitled.91.jpg
      The bulb inside is not perfect yet. I have to redo it. Do you have any renderings of your MR16?

Regards

7. redshift19

redshift19 New Member

I do not have any renderings of the MR16 bulb. I have drawn a few dimple arrays for a former employer with various shapes. That is why I may have given you a more convoluted way to draw the model than what you did.

Your render looks good.