• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help NEEDED on design of.....

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Design1, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Design1

Design1 New Member

I am a mechanical engineer and trying to design an automated machine that dispenses shrink wrap film.
      The machine will have 4 different size film rolls largest being 14" diameter X 36" long.
      I will need the machine to have access to all 4 rolls at any given time depending on what size
      product comes down conveyor to be wrapped. I will have the machine through vision system decide which size film is needed to wrap product then select the correct size film. I have zero knowledge on how these machines are built as far as number of rollers needed for correct tension and how to design roller system in general.
      The roles will be a toilet roll design spinning on a shaft. Two people will load rollers in machine.

I have searched the internet on designs of these machines with no luck.
      If anyone has any ideas or places I can look for specs or design on something like this please post it.

Thanks

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I designed shrink wrapping machines around 20 years ago, hmmm, let's see what I can remember. I had two identical rolls of film, above and below the conveyor. A heated seal bar was just downstream. The product came in, pushed through the "curtain" of film (which was already heat sealed, joining the top and bottom films). The product passed the sealbar, pulling the film with it, then the sealbar came down and stuck it together behind the part, cutting it in the middle of the seal (i.e. sealing behind the product and leaving the fresh film curtain joined for the next product).

Film feed, if I recall correctly, was a motorized drive on the rolls, feeding the film through a multi roller dancer. A switch on the dancer arm turned the motor on and off, and the dancer was balanced for appropriate tension on the curtain.

On our machines, it only sealed front band back, leaving it open on the sides (this was for cases of beverages in cardboard trays). I was working on a high speed sealer where the sealer moved with the conveyor as the product moved through, but the company moved out of state and I left before it was finished.

I'm not sure how you'd handle multiple rolls. You could divert into one of four lanes, each with its own curtain, or you could stop the package and then push it sideways through the appropriate curtain alongside the conveyor.

4. ritesh kumar lenka

ritesh kumar lenka New Member

Pls send details in my mail I can help bcs I m a student

5. Strider

Strider Member

There are a lot of patents on these types of machines. Many may have lapsed but be careful if you try to make money selling them.