• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help please with stainless steel pipe

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by gravitate, Aug 31, 2012.

1. gravitate

gravitate New Member

We have a design of stainless steel pipe with a bend radius of 1.6 The OD of the pipe is 47mm and the wall thickness is 3mm. Can anyone tell me if this is possible please? I am pretty sure the SS is austenitic. I have worked with ss before and min bend radius is 2 also we are working to ASME b31

3. bharathkbhat06@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

You should mention purpose & service of pipe segment. Try fitting elbows instead of bends, there r standard elbows available with vendors, try this & tell me later

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Tight thin wall bends are possible using a mandrel bender. The only issue is finding someone with suitable tooling. If you are from UK I suggest Global Tube Fabrication of Worcester who have bent thin wall ducts for me with great success.

5. Lars Olof

Lars Olof New Member

Hi!
      Looking forward to reading about a solution to bend such a small radius 1.6. Or have I misunderstood the radius dimension?

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Lars, the bend radius is expressed as a factor of the diameter i.e. 1.6*diameter.
      With a mandrel bender 1*d can be achieved if you can find someone with the correct mandrels.

7. Lars Olof

Lars Olof New Member

Thanks.
      That explain. I know it could be a problem to find correct mandrel. What I understands its depends of both OD/ID and the radius.