• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Help with oil preheater design

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by roktimg, Dec 28, 2009.

1. roktimg

roktimg New Member

hey guys im working on a project to design fuel oil preheater to be used in a boiler using the super heated steam from the boiler. now im stil in the very basic design phase and was going through some books on the subject.
      i basically hav to raise the temp of fuel oil from 45 to 90 decC using steam at input of 200 degC. now i hav the basic design equations and all but wat i dont kno is the outlet temp of steam. this is used in all the design equations so is that temp required for the design (as given data) or is it calculated somehow later. i ask because i also went through some forms from vendors who design such preheaters and they only ask for the temp diff required in the fuel oil, inlet steam temp and allowable pressure drops in the tube and shell side.

so how do i get the outlet steam temp?

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

4. Karl A Petersen

Karl A Petersen Member

Make a heat exchanger of two concentric tubes, the steam in the outer one and the fuel in the inner one, running counterflow. Put clips on an insulated straight length of oil line exiting the heat exchanger. These clips will get farther a part when hot. When the temperature is 90C, a linkage between the clips should control a small steam supply valve to about half closed. This gives thermostatic control of the oil by varying steam flow. The oil has to be moving, of course, or it will rise to steam temperature.