• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hi Every One!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by kathiresan1988, Mar 20, 2013.

1. kathiresan1988

kathiresan1988 New Member

Hi All,

I'm S.Kathiresan, I'm a software Engineer but I'm interested in Designing. I want to become a design Engineer, Is that possible please answer me. If so, What I have to do? Please help me...?

Thanks,
      S.Kathiresan

3. Parrleu

Parrleu Well-Known Member

Hi S. Kathiresan,

We are both software engineers, too. While we can't say much on how to make the move to being a design engineer at a larger company, Heather is working on making the move to help support a computer project we have been working on for a while.

We intend to utilize CAD software to make the virtual prototypes and have them printed or cut by the many places offering such services now, like Ponoko, Kraftwurx and Shapeways. For the electronic parts, there are great places like Sparkfun and Electronics Goldmine to order all most will need for very small runs. We have investor meetings lined up, but will also be pursuing crowdsourced funding options for runs of a few thousand for specific configurations we'd like to make happen, and anticipate being able to line that up online, too. (and if you happen to like HID and HCI, check out our post on the HID designs we're looking for in the Jobs section and see if you'd like to try it out :D)

At this point, it seems like anyone can make the move to at least some types of industrial design fairly easily if they choose to, if they are willing to look at non-standard routes of skill usage. If you are one such maverick, just get going - Get your software of choice, and start making models.

Find tutorials, forums like this, etc for help and make models that really speak to a passion you have. Check out places like GrabCad, the Google 3d library, Shapeways, Ponoko, etc for examples and ideas - There's so much out there now for the independent. Have fun! :D