• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hi, I want to know the best way to make pivot pins.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by SavedByTheLamb, Aug 20, 2021.

1. SavedByTheLamb

SavedByTheLamb Member

Hmm this video shows them getting close to the edge.

I expect I might be able to do it if I had a pillar drill, but I really don't want to keep buying laser cut rings only to destroy them. Maybe I'd be better off using aluminium?.. I could do with some scraps of acrylic and polycarbonate and a pillar drill; I'd soon find out if it could be done.

I just tried hand drilling a 3.4mm thick bit of either acrylic or polycarbonate (not sure what it is), with a 1.4mm drill bit. It didn't crack but was pretty dodgy; wouldn't take much at all to mess it up. I need to make the rings thicker, or use aluminium I think.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    3. SavedByTheLamb

SavedByTheLamb Member

Yikes. Just did an online auto quote with the CAD file. £71 for one ring in aluminium. That's not happening...

4. chrstopher007

chrstopher007 Member

To create a basic pivot, you'll need a lathe, a center drill, a drill bit [tap drill size], a tap [for the thread/screw size you want to use], and precisely grind 303 stainless steel rod in whatever size pivot you want to use.