• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • High Support Desgin

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by dawis, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dawis

dawis New Member

Hi,

I'm currently designing the support for a long and heavy channel as follows:

hN5n0hWqh-sg1Qb7FqOrwj6FJFUMpk473PQhsWRyQeU.jpg
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/93d1ixyr7jrnsz3/S.png

I wanted to know which Standard is used for calculating this kind of support, specially wind loads, taking into account that they're going to be about 18-20m high and of course as thick as possible. I'm free for the design and the profile choice.

Hope somebody can help,

Best regards,

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

You can figure wind loads using basic coef of drag and drag force equations. Apply a moment arm for the pipe and assume the center of load for the uprights is at center of bar. If you have access to a CFD simulator such as ANSYS CFX or Fluent you can get more accurate results. Don't for get to do a simple buckling calculations of the thin slender beams.

4. Nadav_Sh

Nadav_Sh New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
    5. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

If it's for a real project with real ppl hanging around you'd better consult an engineering firm. 18 to 20m looks like a challenging design especially looking at the section of the beams. This can not be done hastily and without careful study.

Otherwise check for the Eurocode 9