• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • high torque low speed electric motor needed

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by themza912, Sep 27, 2012.

1. themza912

themza912 New Member

Hello,

I am making a 2 DOF platform for an ankle rehab device. I would ideally be using motors to provide the 2 DOF rotational motion and have the motor directly driving the two shafts around which the plate rotates.

I need a torque peak output of 200 N-m. I am having trouble finding an electric motor for a decent price (under $500) that can provide these needs. One thing to note is that high rpm is definitely not needed which i expected to drive down the cost a lot. Does anyone have suggestions for a place/website to find low speed, high torque electric motors, preferably a servomotor.

A-thankya

3. kevin136

kevin136 Well-Known Member

Hi Man,
      Do you have any requirement about the size?Maybe I can give you recommendation...

4. kuldeep

kuldeep New Member

Usually your requirement can be fulfilled with a normal motor with reduction gearbox. 200Nm is quite high torque and (BLDC or sync AC) motors cannot develop this much torq at low speed. (infact only hydraulic motors can offer you direct high torque @ low speeds)

So you can search for a motor with an epicyclic reduction gearbox attached to it. With a reduction of 8-10, a 20Nm running at 2400 RPM motor can give you 200Nm @ 240 RPM

5. Petar

Petar New Member