• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hinge materials

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ralphh85, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ralphh85

ralphh85 Member

Hi, im new here, im trying to find some advice on whats best to make a hinge bearing surface from.

its on a door hinge, i was going to make bushes from phosphors bronze, and the pin was going to be titanium, however the downward load of the hinge would be between the bronze bush and the alloy body,

would 5083 ali be ok at taking the load of a bronze bush?

if anyone can help it would be great, or point me to somewhere who might be able to help with these types of questions.

Cheers
      Ralph

3. abeenash

abeenash New Member

try this one
      its better to use thrust bearing in the bottom hing where the load is fully supported and at the top the ball bearing can be used.

4. ralphh85

ralphh85 Member

its only a bush going round a pin, no bearings as such,

its a car door hinge,

the bush will rotate on the pin which is fine, as the pins titanium so fairly hard, and the bush is bronze, my question is as the bush sits down, its also sitting on the alloy hinge body.

only solution i can come up with is stick it together and make sure theres some grease in there, and see how it works over time?

Ralph

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Car door hinges are usually steel, though if you're trying to save weight an aluminum casting could be used. No need to use titanium for the pin; steel is fine. Many are all steel, no bushings as such, relying on grease for lubrication. You could use oil impregnated bronze bushings or even plastic bushings if you want to avoid grease. Using flanged bushings would take care of both axial and radial loads.

6. ralphh85

ralphh85 Member

thanks for the info, theres a definative need for titanium as its lighter than steel!!! and doesnt rust.

the bushes are flanged, but this means the bush is against the aluminium body, i think im going to need to put bushes in both ali parts so its bush against bush.

the steel hinges have worn away a bit, so i dont think its a good idea to run the bush against ali. (even tho they are 20 years old).

they will be profiled/folded rather than cast, same as the steel ones. i would upload pics but dont think this forum can host pics??

Ralph

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Titanium is lighter than steel, yes, but the weight savings on a hinge pin isn't much compared to the much higher cost of titanium.

Another option, common on hinges, is simple plastic washers between the hinge sections to take the axial loads, and (if necessary) a separate liner for the radial loads. Using plastic, you don't have to worry about wearing the aluminum.

8. ralphh85

ralphh85 Member

plastic washer thing is a good point,

only problem is theres nothing to say the plastic washer wont stay stationary against the bush an turn on the ali?? its likely some shit will get between them and cause abrasion.

Ralph