• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Hnc in Mechanical design Engineering

Discussion in 'General jobs discussion' started by jibberjabber74, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jibberjabber74

jibberjabber74 Member

Hi All

I have just completed a Hnc Engineering course i am 38 years old, I am looking to work as design engineer. I am currently working as a sheet metal worker for a small company and do 2D autocad and solidworks as and when needed. My question is would i be qualified to apply for design engineer roles with a Hnc or would I have to follow a different route any help would be great.

Jibber

3. Ntopliffe

Ntopliffe New Member

Not sure what Hnc is but a mechanical contractor is probably your best bet.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Apply for everything that you feel confident in your abilities!
      HNC is not a high level qualification but many companies are now realizing the benefit of experience. The fact that I have no formal qualifications in mechanics hasn't stopped me from designing £1/2Billion plant and machinery! One interviewer said to me "we are worried when we look at the design office and don't see any grey hair"!
      Look specifically at jobs which require design in sheet metal and fabrications as you will have a great advantage in understanding the processes.
      Good luck! ChrisW

5. kevin136

kevin136 Well-Known Member

I completly agree with ChrisW.Experience play a big role in mechanical design. Go ahead and good luck!

6. shekhar

shekhar New Member

It is not the Degree that matters when you have good experience. Practical lookout,
      Go ahead. apply for the job you want, show me your work samples I can get you job.

7. jibberjabber74

jibberjabber74 Member

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, some positive views.

Shekhar what is your background?