• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Holy Grail of Mechanical Design?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Paul T, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Hi guys, it's been a while.

Here is an experiment that I feel is relevant to explain how this device may be able to run on its own with no input other than a back turn or a push.

Get a bar of metal about a metre long. Find the centre of gravity and balance it on your finger/s.

Move the centre of gravity further from the center.

Notice how the further you move the center of gravity the faster the speed the bar moves.

When the center of gravity is moved enough, the speed required for the pendulum to extend itself fully will occur, in theory it should pump the flywheel around and around if the frame is solid.

I have all the bits to prove this one out now.

Everything being good it will be done today and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I will more than likely be painting the frame, flywheels, arms and weights to make it easy to see on video.

I have a simple mod which will make this run continuously regardless of whether it will from a push or back spin.

Three 20mm x 20mm diametrically magnetized neodymium magnets.

One fixed to each of the weights and one at the 3 o'clock position attached to the frame with adjustment.

The ones I already have are 10kg pull.

Two in repulsion positions should give somewhere near 20kg push downwards with gravity, centrifugal force, inertia and leverage assisting.

Should be interesting!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the support some of you have given me. I have been spurred on by all the positive and negative.

Is it hat eating time yet?

What do I get for enduring this thread all these years hey? lol

Best regards,

Paul ;)

STANDBY!

3. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

I've been looking forward to this day :cool:

4. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Think about the magnet positions I wrote of above using this video:

I think the next prototype which is just around the corner is going to be a LITTLE more violent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
    5. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Ermm... that's not cold fusion - even the manufacturer states 'so called cold fusion'.
      The last pair of physicists that claimed to have discovered cold fusion several years ago published their results via the popular media, with the resultant effect that they were widely ridiculed following their inability to recreate the initial experiment - why? Initial faulty calibration of equipment.
      Just like the group at CERN last year who claimed to have clocked a neutrino faster than the speed of light - again, mis-calibrated equipment... Fairly obvious when you think about it - when a star implodes, we receive light and radio waves first, then particles and everything else. But no, that didn't occur to this bunch. They also fell into the trap of not attempting to replicate their results under independent, fully bi-sectioned conditions.
      Don't make the same mistake...

6. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

K.I.S.S. you have gone right off track there dude.

Right folks..... lets get back to basics. Forget maths, laws and anything you have been taught in education.

Lets stick to things we have felt and seen with our own eyes and hands so we don't get clouded here.

If you balance a metal bar, lets say 1m in length on your finger, does the falling speed increase as you move your finger away from the center of balance.

Ok, does the speed have a maximum and a minimum and what is it?

Does the speed alter if you use a heavier item the same length and why?

Please help me to clear my mind on these simple but maybe forgotten experiments.

The reason I write this is because we all know that gravity alone cannot lift up what went down. That is impossible.

BUT

When a lever fitted with a one way bearing is attached to the circumference of a flywheel, centrifugal force assists in lifting / rotating the flywheel.

Are you saying it is impossible for centrifugal force to lift a lever fitted with a one way bearing from 3 o'clock to past 12 o'clock?

The flywheel stores an amount of energy in that time frame. Depending on the weight of the flywheel and the weight and length of the components levering.

Therefore just by increasing the length of the lever can increase the amount of energy stored in the flywheel without adding more friction.

Thoughts please as the levers I currently have do not provide the necessary RPM to do what I believe is possible.

Very interestingly on the new prototype, one lever is making the machine so off balance it almost runs itself.

I have not seen this happen on any of the previous prototypes.

Any constructive comments welcome.

Any other comments..... well we've had enough of them.

I'm still not convinced to stop spending on this yet.

Best regards,

Paul

7. K.I.S.S.

Yes, my comment does appear to be somewhat out of context, doesn't it? For some unknown reason, the site posted it where it did, instead of as a reply to your post regarding the container sized 'cold fusion' units now available, which is what I was actually replying to.
      The point I was attempting to make is that unscientific trial and error is always a recipe for disaster.
      Apply that context, and then use it or don't use it - your choice...

8. K.I.S.S.

I'd love to help, but unfortunately I've forgotten everything I ever learned about Maths, Laws and education...[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I can genuinely understand your obsession with such a project, and please take the following advice as genuinely well intentioned - if you don't even understand Newtons 1st and 3rd laws of motion, then you cannot expect to begin to remotely understand the issues at play which make the device 'almost' work.
      This is very basic and more importantly, fundamental, physics. It's a fact - these forces are at play in every single millisecond of our lives, and they have been proven by a googleplex of instances.
      Nature is fundamentally lazy - expressed differently, water always finds the path of least resistance.
      As designers, all that we fundamentally do is to mimic Nature in one respect or another, and Nature has not yet managed to summon up 'free' energy.

Do you accept that gravity is real? Did the apple make your head hurt? I'm sure you do.
      All that I'm attempting to convey to you is that if you rather invested some money in further education in physics (and I assure you that I am not trying to be derogatory towards yourself in any way), then that would be more profitable than pursuing a impossible dream that has monetary implications.

Many things are possible when designing things, and some things are not.

9. miltonbr

miltonbr Well-Known Member

Dear Paul:

Nobody can say that you are not persistent.
      If you search for inspiration for an unbalanced lever, see this video:
      c9YLkoJz7rM

But, before you say "eureka", note that the system only moves with the addition of external energy (from the hand of the inventor) and stops moving when the initial energy runs out (because of friction). There is no creation of energy .... a concept that everyone here already have trying to explain to you.

10. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Hello again folks!

The fabricators I'm using have extended the pendulum arms 180mm. I'm on holiday for a few days and moving house at the moment so I'll do my best to deliver a verdict before xmas.

Here are three possible outcomes.

1. It doesn't work still but the number of revolutions increases.

2. The one way clutch bearings cannot cope with the increased torque and fail.

3. It works and I'll post a video of it working.

It has been specified in this thread that it would be sufficient evidence to prove the concept if the device can keep turning itself without any motors. I thought that adding an analogue clock in the video would help? Any other suggestions?

If it works and I post a video I just wanted to ask a few things of the people reading this:

a) You push this as far as you can globally.

b) See that the inventors Mikhail Dmitriyev & Johann Bessler get the recognition they deserve. I just simplified it with Charlie, Ron, Greg and some of you guys (you know who you are).

c) Recognise I am not suicidal in the slightest or involved in anything dodgy should anything dubious happen to me.

d) If you make any money from it, put it back into making the world a better place using good morals and joy as the heart of the business.

e) Remember that shelter, food, clean water and electricity should be basic human rights for every human on this planet.

Energy is the key to ending slavery and poverty.

Fingers crossed we get a result for xmas. I know you guys are going to blow me away with what you do next if this works. Looking forward to watching the baby I've nurtured all these years mature into what it can and should be.

This technology can open the floodgates for the ultimate energy source that we should be using today, whatever that is.

Best regards,

Paul

11. miltonbr

miltonbr Well-Known Member

Dear Paul:
      I wish you all the best of luck.
      Honestly.