• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Holy Grail of Mechanical Design?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Paul T, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

Well, here we are in 2015. As we enter this new year the laws of thermodynamics and Newtonian mechanics are all still in force and the perpetual motion machine is still an unrealizable dream of many.

3. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Yeah, I went to the fabricators and they were closed. Expect an update soon. I'm not going anywhere.

Hopefully I can get this device working with one pendulum next week.

No one will be able to deny how it works then.

Falling weight assisted by centrifugal force and gravity stores inertia in flywheel.

Weight falls from 3 o'clock and has enough speed to get back to 12 o'clock.

Simple mechanical chain reaction.

That is what I envisage and have done for several months.

Adding more weights just increases the torque.

For a proof of concept, one weight is perfect.

There will be no denying what is happening.

The one way bearings might not be up for it though.

Moving house has dragged on and I'm still not totally done.

Bear with me.....

4. miltonbr

miltonbr Well-Known Member

If the weight falls on 3 o'clock and get back on 12 o'clock, what we will do in the rest of day?Despite the same old jokes, happy new year Paul.

5. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Erich,
      I disagree - apparently my horoscope for this year predicts many unbalanced forces will come into play..
      Now, just to harness them...

6. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Hi guys, unexpectedly the bolts that hold the axels sheared off and before that kept undoing as currently both sides are RHD thread.

I have bought some new bolts that are apparently he highest tensile possible 12.9. I have also got some thread lock.

Also I'm thinking back to the design with the cam and roller to see if that could be implemented now.

Otherwise I'm thinking that it may need a motor pulse once every revolution to work with what I have so far.

I'm also thinking of going to a 8 pendulum version so there is a pulse every 45 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

Here is a picture of the latest pendulum assembly:

[​IMG]

The only negative so far on this assembly is the steel plate that extends the arm is a bit springy.

I can't believe how many different thread locks there are. Looking for the best one as the torque on the axle bolt that wants to undo must be quite immense.

Looking at ways to measure the torque on the main shaft.

Also considering that a DC motor / generator can provide a pulse for a small portion of the rotation to harness gravity, centrifugal force and leverage to amplify the motors input, then generate for the remainder of the rotation.

What is the best way to couple a shaft to a shaft. Is is easy with the shaft being different size diameters?

Any constructive comments welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

7. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

If you add a motor to add energy on every cycle you just might get a device that keeps turning. But that doesn't help you prove a new source of energy. It proves the opposite.

8. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

I see and feel weight, torque. I can visualise the forces of gravity, centrifugal and leverage in my hands and not on a piece of paper as an equation.

The more I add to this the more mechanical advantage it provides.

It is patented as a "mechanical torque amplifier"

This is what it does, period!

I do believe with the right weights, dimensions and frequency of pulse from the pendulums it will turn itself continuously until the bearings fail or there is some sort of collision.

I believe to be commercialized it needs a motor / generator as the inventor intended.

It just seems cheaper to me to prove it with amperage, voltage and wattage figues, rather than perpetutal motion or torque.

I could even put an alternator on it and prove by hand that a human can beat whatever the world record currently is, for human power generation.

After much research I believe the simplest, cheapest way to do this is using one of these alternators:

http://www.windbluepower.com/Permanent_Magnet_Alternator_Wind_Blue_Low_Wind_p/dc-540.htm

No gearbox needed. Just belts and pulleys.

Please can anyone tell me which belt and pulleys would you use to drive this alternator?

Using 60 rpm as a main shaft speed and the alternator apparently generates power from 130 rpm. I guess this would means a little faster would be better so I'm thinking 3:1 pulley ratio perhaps?

Also please can anyone tell me how big I could enlarge the axle threads too without getting new axles made.

They are 20mm diameter and current have M6 rhd threads.... I'm wondering if I can go to M10 and go one lhd thread and one rhd thread

Any help very welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    9. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

[HR][/HR]I can see / feel how this works through experiments I have carried out.

I have partially replicated the inventors discovery and doing that from a 3:1 scale has allowed me to see that having 4 weights with pendulums at maximum length is the optimum way to amplify input torque.

Using gangs of 4 pendulums offset increases the torque as the number of gangs is increased.

4, 8, 16, 32, 64, I could go on.....

The torque amplification can be increased by increasing the mass of either the pendulum weights and arms and/or the flywheel.

Using lower friction bearings on either the mainshaft and/or the pendulums also increases torque amplification.

My experiments prove this to me.

The Russian inventor Mikhail Dmitriyev has invented a mechanical torque amplifier and I'm still here nearly three years on from when I joined trying to share that information with the best of the best people globally to run with it.

10. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

11. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

I will assume that the bolt in question threads into the end of the 20 mm shaft.

You can easily put a 10 or 12 mm diameter bolt in the end of a 20 mm shaft and not hurt the strength of the shaft appreciably.

I would not bother with the left hand thread, just use a Loctite and torque the bolt good and tight.