• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Holy Grail of Mechanical Design?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Paul T, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Received the 635.5mm two groove pulley today for the 7.94:1 ratio....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here was the sunset from my apartment when I got home:

[​IMG]

I have a design that will fit within my frame that will allow 16 pendulums using 6" bar instead of 3" bar.

Having an event every 22.5 degrees is going to make this a very interesting device.

The bad news but at the same time good news is the pulley I have ordered only with allow a minimum of a 25mm bore taper lock bush.

25mm should be good for a lot more weight. I will go to titanium if I have to.

I don't want to change the hubs on the flywheels as it will mean the flywheels will need machining.

Luckily there is a taper lock bush in 25mm that fits my existing hubs!

PMG and charge controller have left Springfield Missouri and are in "transit"......

Watch this space....

Nearly time to prove to myself if I'm deluded or not.... :eek:

I already know what the vast majority of your opinions are.

3. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

These are my first basic experiments with a wind / hydro permanent magnet generator (PMG) before fitting to the mechanical torque amplifier that I have built with the help of several engineering companies, mechanical designers, machinists and energy enthusiasts.

I purchased this PMG as I believe it currently is the best off the shelf device to produce safe 12 volt electricity at low RPM.

12 volts is a safe voltage for myself and other interested people to experiment with.

Typically a car alternator doesn't make any electricity without being spun to 1500 rpm - 3000 rpm.

I am going to be fitting the PMG to the device I have built which the inventor claims multiplies the input torque.

I have been experimenting with the inventors technology for 4 years. I believe I have simplified and improved the inventors discovery.

This video is the first in the series of my proof of concept demonstration.

You may be pleased to hear that the technology is open source!

My findings are that the inventor has discovered a mechanical advantage using gravity, inertia and centrifugal force as the environmental inputs to assist in the leverage of an active flywheel.

If you study a wind turbine or any fuel driven engine you will see that the main crankshaft is being levered.
      The inventor has discovered a new way to lever the crankshaft using energy sources that do not deplete and require no fuel tank.

I look forward to showing you my next experiments.

Best regards,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
    4. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Here are my latest pics of some of the new bits I've bought.

I've gone from 20mm to 30mm bore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just got to order my 30mm shaft.

Haven't decided on shaft material yet. I have been recommended to use either SAE 1020 or ideally SAE 4140.

Not decided on belt length either yet until I have a bracket fabricated.

I also have to make a jig to drill new holes for the RHP NSK 30mm bearings.... the holes are bigger and don't line up with the ones I currently have.

I'm going to turn the frame 180 degrees and drill and tap them on the other side.

Also I have found a 65mm twin groove 17mm shaft alternator pulley which will enable a 9.69 : 1 ratio instead of 7.88.

Based on the RPM vs Watts chart that Missouri Wind & Solar provided that should be around 700 watts instead of 500 watts.

Also, I have located a 6 groove poly v alternator pulley 43mm and a 800mm 6 groove poly v pulley.

This would provide about 1116RPM. Using this PMG I'm guestimating that will provide about 1500 watts and a 18.6 : 1 ratio.

Well whatever the results they are going to be enlightening.

It will be very easy to see how further advancements to the pendulum / lever mechanical advantage device affect the output.

Thankfully I believe I'm not to far away from showing something concrete.

5. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Here is an update:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Loved using the mag drill what an awesome tool!!!!

The best news is the most power can be tapped by pushing the pendulums at the point when they want to swing.
      Best way of doing this yet who knows! Magnets or electromagnet / magnet combination possibly?

I haven't filmed it yet but when I push the pendulums manually it performs outstandingly!!!!

The torque on the mainshaft is unstoppable by hand. I doubt two men could stop it using both hands.
      Hopefully dividing it by 8 wont lose too much.

Plan on seeing how many 55 watt bulbs can be driven by hand. This way I can just use the ammeter and voltmeter to work out the wattage.

I literally cannot throw the pendulums fast enough to keep up with how quickly they come back. This method of mechanical advantage seems to provide the highest amplification.

The input is not connected to the output on the same plane or the same timeframe....

Have ordered one v belt for now 3150mm.

6. Dave Archer

Dave Archer Active Member

You sure have put a lot of work and effort into this !

Hope that you get some good results out of it.

7. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave!

Nothing would make me happier than to unleash the truth in a place full of the world's best mechanical design engineers.

There is definitely something special about levers without a doubt!
      If you look at any combustion engine it uses leverage.

If you look at wind turbines they use leverage.

Solar panels are a one way valve to turning light and heat into electricity.

Mikhail's device is a one way valve to turning gravity and inertia into electricity.

Leverage is king!

[​IMG]

Found this interesting...... Remember flight was "impossible" once!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
    8. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

The shaft I have is EN19 30mm.

How could I work out what weight it could take?

9. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

Two ways.
      1. Get a degree in Mechanical engineering.

2. Draw a picture showing how the shaft is supported and where ALL of the forces are applied and the directions those forces are acting.
      Ask the forum to solve the problem shown in the picture.

10. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Cheers Erich, I guess the 3rd option is to send the CAD drawings to a finite element analysis company.

11. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Here is an update:

I got some 50mm steel angle from work and fabricated some rough brackets up today.

I didn't have time to fix the brackets or plate to the frame so I clamped and weighted it just to see what would happen.

In these videos I am powering 2 x 55 watt headlight bulbs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bh0bedwsi5rp7ar/IMG_1087.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ix4g8v9nlegcg8/IMG_1086.MOV?dl=0

I was turning the main shaft with a spanner that is about 12" long.

I could barely even get the filaments to light up with a 12" ratchet and socket directly connected onto the shaft of the PMG.

The voltage was unregulated and I blew one of the bulbs.

Of course the mechanical advantage can be increased to whatever is needed.

I've just worked out that I could fit a full scale replication of Mikhail's prototype 11 within the frame and keep the PMG where it is.

Mikhail was also using a 8:1 ratio.

Chain and sprockets have much less friction than the wedge belt and pulleys I've used.

At least I know the kicker wheel isn't needed thanks to Mikhail's experiments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l1cojripb9pmrm/Inertia deflects.mp4?dl=0

I'm broke now so going to have a think about where to go with this next.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Paul