• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Holy Grail of Mechanical Design?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Paul T, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting the rotor balanced first on a turbo balancing machine rated for 300,000rpm.

3. Mark_Armstrong

Mark_Armstrong Active Member

Doesn't seem like it will lend itself well to that style of rotor...

4. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting the rotor balanced first on a turbo balancing machine rated for 300,000rpm.
      You might be right there. I'm no expert when it comes to balancing.

I do have Nikola Tesla's final British patent with his method of dynamic balancing to fall back on.

5. Mark_Armstrong

Honestly, you really ought to start looking at some more modern information...

Well, have fun with the modelling.

6. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm definitely open to modern balancing techniques and finding a company that could accurately balance it.

7. Mark_Armstrong

It just seems like a lot of money to spend on toy models with no real purpose...

But each to their own, I guess.

8. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

The purpose is to test some of Tesla's bold claims in the British patents. The one where he adds the vacuum pump to the turbine and claims 100% efficiency is pretty bold!

Tesla planned his "self-acting machine" years before he built it.

It is in a very interesting article called "The problem of increasing human energy" 1900.

http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/1900-06-00.htm

The one I really want to test is the claim of "Ten horsepower from a tiny engine a man could dangle from his little finger by a string. Five hundred horsepower in a package that a man could easily lift in one hand"

If you convert the joules at 156,000rpm into horsepower, it is showing that I should be shifting a lot of air to propel a second stage Tesla vacuum pump.

This can be the output shaft. The rotors are geared with air. The speed can be altered by changing the amount of discs and the diameter.

Centrifugal force imparts energy to the air on stage 2.

9. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

10. Mark_Armstrong

This is what I meant by: "...you really ought to start looking at some more modern information..."

You are spending time and money trying for yourself things that have been studied and tried for almost a hundred years.

There is nothing wrong with experimental approaches. Just do not expect to learn anything more than what you could have readily looked up on Wikipedia at little cost.

But that is fine. It is your money you are throwing away. Personally, I throw away mine on cigars and whisky. Your approach is probably more healthy.

11. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to spend my money on cigarettes and alcohol. Those recreational drugs are still quite tempting pastimes.

However this is my research of machines from the past, as it came to my attention around 9 years ago that an economic model is placed over the top of what is possible. Planned obsolescence is a horrible and unnecessary evil.

I'd like to move away from that in my lifetime.

Certain things have happened to me and others around me in my lifetime, which makes me seek a better future for my children and future generations.

If you want to see some amazing old technology model making. Here is a video of a man who wins hands down when it comes to attention to detail.

All I ask is you allow me to present my findings and then have them criticized.

I have just received these photos from the 3D printing company.

They have serviced their 200k machine and got it to print properly.

I'm really happy about that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will show the other half of the casing when it is done.