• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Holy Grail of Mechanical Design?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Paul T, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Mark_Armstrong

Mark_Armstrong Active Member

Not "cigarettes and alcohol", cigars and whisky. There's a difference.

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Lol

My prediction: There is no way the removal of the energy source to the fitting of the pressure gauge is going to go smoothly. That's a big gaping hole while you're messing about trying to get that part fitted.

I expect that the failure of this model to do what Paul T expects will be blamed on this flaw.

4. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

P.S. Those are some pretty prints. Very nice.

From the looks of it, those parts should be machinable. For the quality you want, I'd think it'd be a cheaper option.

5. Mark_Armstrong

I'm rather interested in the tolerances for the bearing bore sizes and alignment. That seems to be a potential problem area. Never worked with 3-D printed parts like this. Not sure I'd trust them for bearing alignment for anything that wasn't slow speed.

6. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

I did get one cheaper quote of £600 for it to be CNC 5 axis milled from acrylic but they had a 4 week lead time.

The 3D printing company had a 3-5 day lead time and they can print the inner surfaces in gloss. The outer surfaces I am going to polish.

This is the cheapest 3D print I could get and the bonus is they are using a Stratasys Objet 500 polyjet which has a normal print accuracy of 30 microns. 15 microns on high quality mode.

https://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers/objet-350-500-connex3

I am going to get the mating faces lapped too.

When I've got some more money all the discs are going to be made from 420 stainless, tapered and lapped in order to blueprint the rotor.

The shaft is currently being machined out of a 20mm grade 5 titanium round bar.

Turbo's can accelerate from 20,000 revs per minute to over 150,000 revs per minute in less than one second. Turbo blades slow the supersonic velocity down.

The Tesla turbine when built properly doesn't slow the air speed down, it allows it to go faster until it reaches the exhaust chamber.

The Tesla turbine transforms heat to kinetic and the large amount of air moved provides thrust.

The faster the rotor spins, the longer the spiral path. The longer the spiral path the more time the air has to accelerate on its race to the exhaust. A natural draft is created.

It is a man made tornado in a box.

The supersonic air doesn't slow down until it gets out into the exhaust ports.

The boundary layer acts on the discs.

The heat impacts on the star washers.

The machine does operate, both expansively and impulsively.

7. Mark_Armstrong

:eek:

This level of trolling staggers the imagination...

I am becoming convinced that Paul T isn't a real person but a facade used to get people to post...

8. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

You're a cheeky one! I'm just a father who cares about his children and wants to see a better world for them!

9. Mark_Armstrong

I do not believe you.

Either you are lying or you are simply incapable of learning anything.

Neither is good.

10. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

Look if you don't like my thread then don't post here. If you do not think that I'm trying to benefit others with my intentions purely altruistic then please leave the thread.

11. Paul T

Paul T Well-Known Member

This was constructive and is much preferred. Thanks